device to push slider windows tightly closed

That would be true with some styles of clamp but not others. There are several different styles of clamps many of which would almost certainly have the clearance to be usable.

One version which I actually own, not only has a low clearance screw it is also a deep reach or a C-clamp style which gives even more clearance. Jorgensen "Pony" Deep Reach Pipe Clamp is the name of this style of clamp that you will find very useful. You supply your own threaded pipe or if you can find this clamp locally they will also sell and thread your pipe. There are cheaper prices but this link should work:

My first reaction is... that I thought that you would be operating the clamp since you are "helping" them, eh? I assumed that you are the one who is handy and will own the clamps. Besides that, if these invalids can't pick up a 12 inch clamp they they may need your help every time they open and close this window.

The ones you own may be reversible since many are and you were previously unaware of the feature. Just try removing the fixed part of the clamp and reverse it. You call the clamps "newer" but they are nothing of the sort.

Pipe clamps are a well established technology, I assure you. They do indeed have a mechanism which allows you to position the movable part of the clamp along the pipe so that if adjusted properly only a turn or two of the screw may be required to to do the job. If your wifey won't let you buy any clamps then give the job to her!!

Reply to
Lawrence

You know if you do this one right, it will both close the window and, if you put it at the other location, open it. Assuming there is a handle on the moving part. My windows have full height "handles" at both sides. Almost any design will be "right" but there might be some that will be wrong.

Reply to
mm

I've heard of stripper bars and gay bars. What are shower bars?

And what did you do when you were there?

Reply to
mm

I think I found the ultimate solution today!

I was thumbing through a material handling catalog today

and saw some cargo handling bars.These are bars made to span the inside of a trailer to restrain the load from shifting.The ones in this catalog were for large trailers (89"-104" wide) but a quick internet search yielded several source of similar cargo bars made for small pickups and minivans.

John Keith snipped-for-privacy@juno.com

Reply to
John Keith

Yea, I use those to secure the load in my pickup. I'm guessing that it won't be short enough for your window, even the small ones. It is might be possible to cut the bars to a shorter length. You could try a pipe cutter. I don't see it working any better than a pipe clamp, in any case.

Reply to
Lawrence

The ones on this link fit a 44" - 72" range (I need 48" and 52"), have a nice trigger mechanism and are priced attractively.

John Keith snipped-for-privacy@juno.com

Reply to
John Keith

Then it should work. A pipe clamp all of those features and more. It is less expensive and more versatile.

Reply to
Lawrence

But much heavier, bulkier, more awkward to use (offcenter thrust, trickier to get to stay in place while installing/adjusting), and not to mention an eyesore.

I have lots of pipe clamps. Yes, they can be used for this. But I wouldn't bet on it with the elderly - they'll be dropping it on their foot, or running the pipe thru the glass. Reversible bar clamps would be a trifle better (lighter/easier to manage), but still similar problems not to mention higher expense.

The classic solution is a sawn off hockey stick handle - very popular for sliding doors - just drop it in the track, and you can't open the door, period. When cut to the right length, they can help close the glass by pushing sideways on it. Or, hinge em in the middle (watch out for pinching skin or fingers).

The NorthernTool cargo bar looks great for if the windows are particularly stubborn. Notice the rubber feet. Rather better than the end of a 1/2" piece of iron pipe.

I have one of these:

I use it in our trailer.

Pricier, but _very_ light -

Reply to