Device For Broadcasting Salt ?

I'm spreading salt on my inclined driveway by hand.
But coverage is uneven and I am waste a certain amount of salt.
First thing that comes to mind are those hand-crank seed spreaders, but salt and seed are different enough that I don't feel like taking a chance and just buying one.
Does anybody have something that actually works for them ?
--
Pete Cresswell

On 1/25/2016 9:01 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I have used a hand-crank seeder and it works fine when I want an even application of deicer to the pavement. Thing is, I usually want to add extra to icier spots, so I end up applying by hand in those spots anyway.
(PeteCresswell) wrote:

There's little difference between rock salt and bug granules . Buy the hand crank unit . Salt may not feed as quickly as the granules due to average particle size , but then I can't remember ever using but the lowest 2 settings on mine . Crank slower for a narrower swath .
--
Snag

On 1/25/2016 8:01 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

If you truly want a uniform dispersal AND have a sizeable driveway, consider a "*Drop* Fertilizer Spreader". Something like: <
http://www.homehardware.ca/products/300/51322601.jpg
Other "spreaders" throw the seed/fertilizer (in your case, salt) and, as such, leave heavy and light spots. A drop spreader LAYS DOWN a layer so it's only going where you want it (no risk to killing nearby flora!) -- sort of like mowing a lawn.
The other advantage (for folks with big driveways) is that it will carry a fair bit more than a hand spreader -- and is more convenient than carrying a bag of salt with you (in your arms) as you walk the driveway, walkway and sidewalks.
Downside is it doesn't work on unshoveled areas! (wheels need traction)
On 1/25/16 10:01 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

http://amzn.com/B001D1CIZK

On 1/25/2016 12:49 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

You may get better results with the calcium chloride pellets as they are more uniform and smaller than salt.
On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 9:01:23 AM UTC-6, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

It can be done by throwing in a sweeping/horizontal motion...it doesn't take much practice.