Detroit Suburb Literally Rips-Out 1,000 Streetlights, Darkens Town

Page 2 of 2
On 11/5/2011 11:50 AM, Home Guy wrote:

We have a regular treated wood pole off the street next to our driveway and steps leading up to the house and we pay Alabama Power a few bucks a month for a HPS pole light which lights up the front yard and a good bit of the neighbors yards and street. The only city provided lights are at intersections. The light does help keep a lot of goblins away and lets us see what the dogs are barking at. ^_^
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Yea so they probably provided the fixture / lamp (years ago) and they're providing power to it.

It is *exactly* the situation in Detroit (I was specifically responding to DDs post directly above, which you snipped).

<yawn>
Different issue. The city is bankrupt. Their toys get repossessed.
" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote:

Are you talking about the removal of residential street lights in Highland Park, or the abandonment of entire streets and neighborhoods within Detroit city limits?

In this case, the lights don't appear to be owned by the city, but by the private electricity utility (DTE) or the contractor they hired. So it's not "their toys" (they being the city of Highland Park).
DTE is shooting themselves in the foot. The lights give them revenue when they're operating. While their customer (Highland park) can't pay them *RIGHT NOW* to juice up the lights, by removing the lights DTE is insuring that they will get NO REVENUE when Highland park will be in a position in the future to afford to turn them back on.

DD was referring to the latter, which I was adding to.

OK. They were renting the toys. They didn't pay the rent so they were repo'd.

LOL!

Prezactly. *IF*
" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote:

No.
DTE is not in the business of installing lights. I'm sure they'd much rather sell the electricity like they've been doing for how many dozen years. And remember that just like they did when they pulled them down, they'd simply contract out the job to someone else.
By taking down the equipment, they've added an unncessary complication for Highland Park city hall were they to decide to have the lights back up and working again. The added cost to re-install the lights (unless absorbed by DTE over many years) will only postpone any decision to turn them on again. This is still a stupid decision on the part of DTE - unless the money saved in lower insurance costs makes up the difference over 5 or 10 years.

You don't think they make a profit installing lights?

I guess you know more than the management of DTE. Maybe you should send your resume over...
Home Guy wrote:

The pole will come down someday. DTE takes it down, it falls down from lack of maintenance, or some driver knocks it into the street where it is hit by a station wagon full of illegal aliens and their seven children, killing all but one infant.* Perhaps DTE, looking at the insurance premium they have to pay on each pole, decide they could come out ahead by taking the poles down now.
-------- * Lest you think I jest, the all-steel, 30' pole in front of my house - on a straight street - was hit during the night and completely uprooted! It fell across my driveway, narrowly missing my car and probably the cat.
The next morning, my son and I surveyed the debris field. We found a lens cover from a turn indicator. Running the part number down (it wasn't easy) we discovered it came from a Chevy S-10 pickup. Imagine how a girl-sized pickup could knock a 14" diameter steel pole twenty feet. It boggles the mind.
The story gets better. Three times during the next two weeks I called the pole people, asking politely for them to move it from my driveway. No luck.
From the backyard, I got a 15' fallen tree limb and stuck it in the hole formerly occupied by the street lamp. I placed a small kerosene lamp near the top. I then emailed a picture of the result to the service department of the light company along with the message: "No hurry, I replaced it."
The pole was moved the next day.
Wait, it gets better.
I didn't see who moved the pole, but I did see where they moved it. They moved this 30', dented, steel pole to the road median! That's exactly what they did, they simply drug it out of the way!
There the pole rested for about a month until (I guess) one night some passing urban fairies cut it up for scrap and hauled it off.
HeyBub wrote:

Well, right off the bat I can just imagine what the urban landscape looks like outside your front door. But continue...

And I guess you didn't hear it come down.

Did you file a police report?

And still be able to drive away?

Which again you didn't see or hear the noise of the grinder.
What shit-hole of a city do you live in anyways?
Now you see why I say you can't pay me enough to live in the states.
HeyBub wrote:

Heh. Thank your god for turning Texas into Mexico North.

I've been to Texas many times. Lubbock, Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio. Each one at least 4 times over the past 15 years (except for Lubbock - only been there once). Galveston a few times. North Padre Island once for a week's vacation.
Home Guy wrote:

In general, we like them. These immigrants are, for the most part, exactly the kind of folks we want: Hard working, industrious, willing to place their faith in their own abilities, take a chance on building a better life for themselves and their families.
As opposed to some of the immigrants from New Orleans that I mentioned earlier.

And you're STILL like that? Amazing.
HeyBub wrote:

Then why is the whole friggen country tying itself up in knots over those illegals?
Why are so many opposed to giving them amnesty and a fast-track to citizenship if you like them so much?

What - that I'm not afraid to call a spade a spade?
The US is f*cked up, and it all started with the response to 9-11, and just got worse electing Bush a second time.
As the saying goes - it's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

We just don't (often believe) in encouraging people to jump the queue.

amnesty for illegal immigrants.

On 11/5/2011 2:18 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

[Theremin music in the background] In the future, cities will be lighted by small artificial suns developed by scientists working in the field of nuclear fusion. These small suns will be attached to small blimps floating over sections of the city and can be moved around to provide additional light to a section if some event requires it. ^_^
TDD

so the copper wiring and aluminum poles don't get stolen.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Are they worth more than the labor to remove them?
" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote:

That's what I question.
Then there's the logistics of the actual theft.
Anyone coming along with pickup truck in the middle of the night with battery-operated tools is going to have a hard time cutting just one of those off it's base and then make at least one more cut to get it short enough to put in his truck and drive away before someone wakes up and gives their license plate number to a 911 operator.
Then try to fence it at a scrap yard.
And they might even be made of magnesium (same as your lawn mower deck?). But then again I don't know if you get a different price for magnesium vs aluminum from the recycler.
Coming along with a cherry picker and taking off the lamp fixtures is one thing. There's probably a moderate amount of value there. But to remove the pole? And cut the base bolts off and the wiring off? Think of the labor cost to re-do the base if they ever want to put the lights back in.

...yet it happens all the time.

I doubt it. They're most likely either steel (strength) or aluminum (corrosion resistance). I don't see any advantage to magnesium and a *lot* of cost.

The city will pay it if they *ever* are in a position to do so again (doubtful).