Determine if Coating on Floor is Shellac or Old Polyurethane?

I removed the wall to wall carpet from the 70 year old house I recently bought. The floors in the bedrooms appears to be pine coated with shellac or possibly polyurethane. I don't want to refinish the floors because of the beautiful patina. In only isolated spots and by the door the coating show heavy wear.

How can I find out which coating is on the floors? How can I protect and preserve the floors? What should I use to clean and preserve them?

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
bro

Shellac will completely dissolve in alcohol. I do not know how to identify polyurethane. Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

I'll try some denatured alcohol.

Mike

Reply to
bro

Reply to
nospambob
90% of the floor looks good and I really don't want to refinish them. If it's poly coated I can sand (which grit sandpaper?) then recoat with poly? Dpes it matter if it's water based poly?

Mike

Reply to
bro

How do I know if I need to fresh coat to be oil base dor water based? Does it matter?

Mike

Reply to
bro

Reply to
nospambob

Do I need to find out if the original poly is water based or oil based before applying a top coat?

Mike

Reply to
bro

No, you can apply water over oil. Whether it is oil or water you are covering over you will need to lightly sand. I doubt a 70 yr old floor is poly though. Poly wasn't invented until the mid 50's. What did you find with the alcohol test?

Reply to
J Kelly

The house went through a major renovations during the 70s and 80s. It appears the floors have been refinished (power sanded) at once. Haven't tried the alcoholl yet. Going to test this weekend.

Mike

Reply to
bro