detecting sound

We need to monitor a section of an apartment building. Were only interested in detecting sound, for example someone breaking into a door. I`m thinking something like a baby monitor. Anyone know of that sort of thing but maybe a little more sophisticated. We are only interested in audio not a camera. Thanks. Patt
Patt wrote:

Hi, High gain microphone? Can even detect a pin drop. But this a sensing part. How are you going to be informed. A flashing light, beeper? What if prowler is silent type? Pros can break a window not making much of any noise.

interested
thinking
Burglar alarm audio sensor would do the job.
Some are only sensitive to breaking glass as an example
Patt wrote:

they have glass break sensors. I think they also detect very loud noises. try homesecuritystore.com or nextalarm.com
--
Thank you,

Check also www.smarthome.com good luck, let us know if you find a solution.

I was going to suggest a "barking dog alarm" (google it) but when I looked on the web, most were motion activated. They used to be sound activated, look around more than I did and you might find it.