Detecting foundation leaks.

I like in NH, and yes, it is cold this time of year. I have a house with a rock foundation, and there are some strong drafts coming through the walls.

From the outside, the foundation seems solid, but of course, I know it

is not. Is there some way to find the leaky areas from the outside? (Part of the foundation is not accessable from the inside, but I can feel drafts coming from that area... )

Thanks for any advice you can give...

Reply to
john_williams1000

I am nowhere near an expert, but I feel pretty certain that you could hire someone with an infra-red camera to do thermal imaging. The "open" areas should show up quite clearly.

Perhaps a home >I like in NH, and yes, it is cold this time of year. I have a house

Reply to
NoSpam99989

I am nowhere near an expert, but I feel pretty certain that you could hire someone with an infra-red camera to do thermal imaging. The "open" areas should show up quite clearly.

Perhaps a home >I like in NH, and yes, it is cold this time of year. I have a house

Reply to
NoSpam99989

Best is a blower door test, they will pinpoint every leak in your house and give you its air exchange rating. Then you know what and where to seal.

Reply to
m Ransley

Most likely you have some major gaps where the sill meets the foundation. [and where any pipes or wires penetrate the foundation]

A simple way to spot a lot of them is to light up the basement at night and check the perimeter from the outside.

Then darken the windows in the daytime & check the perimeter from the inside.

This won't find them all, as air travels around things that absorb light, but it will show you the big ones.

I covered my old stone foundation down to a couple feet below grade with 2" styrofoam. Then I covered it with wire-mesh & a couple parge coats. Not as nice as the walls that were replaced when they collapsed last summer, but it is draft-free at least.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht