Detached garage sub panel question

Three electricians and an inspector have said the neutral of a 3 wire feeder to a garage would, until the 2008 NEC, be bonded to the system ground and earthing electrode in the garage.

In the current NEC, quoted in another post, this practice is explicitly grandfathered.

Period, end of damned story.

Reply to
bud--

But as you said in your first post (if only the thread had ended there...) a grounding electrode is required for either a 3 or 4 wire feeder.

You don't need an electrode if the feed is just a multiwire branch circuit.

Reply to
bud--

I'm just thinking it would be less cheesy to have a system with a pipe ecg and no rod, than neither

Reply to
RBM

grand-fathered.- Hide quoted text -

Very true. I just want to educate myself on what to expect so I could intelligently talk to the inspector about the potential problems we might encounter. As suggested, I am going to visit him tomorrow with some photos. I'll keep the group updated.

Again, thanks for all the valuable insight and wisdom provided.

Reply to
Ed B

Update, spoke with the inspector. He has told me the panel and feed is grandfathered therefore no rod required. Thanks again for all the sound advice

Reply to
Ed B

A reasonable man. Good news. That will make your project much simpler.

Reply to
jamesgangnc