Desperately need help: Woodstain over old Varnish won't dry!

Page 2 of 2
Mike My apologies, I read your Post rather Hastily, I didn't see where you put JUST stain on top of the varnish Stain will never dry it needs a top coat which is what i thought was being tacky and not completely drying. When doing refinishing work and Or recoation work the top coat sometimes does not get completely hard and stays tacky to the touch What I mentioned happens to be a cure for it, Don't know why but it does work, Especially on Shellac and Varnish. I doubt that you will not find this in the books that are written by the so called Guros of finishing geared to the novice market. Either way it will cause no harm to what you have. What you need to do is get a coat of topcoat on it problem is if you are brushing the brush will pick up the stain and cause a bigger mess than what you have. Best bet is to wash the stain off with Mineral spirits , Go back to Go do not collect the 200.00 and start over again. When Company comes blame it on the weather and after the holidays you have to do it all over again, But when you do Get a little Info on the proper way to do it. Good Luck, and Merry Christmas to all, and to all goodnight, George

the different products you are puttng on your floor are not compatable with each other
use paint/ vanish stripper get back to the bare wood and use only one make type of product

Mike G. is entirely correct (as usual!). Do it right. Having just recently redone the bathroom floor in my place, (it was CARPETED wall-to-wall!) I can only say take time enough to do it permanently and correctly. In my case, the damn carpet even covered the baseboards!
Were I in your shoes, I'd have covered the floor with a throw rug 'til the holidays were over. Pulling the terlet is very simple and straight forward. At least you didn't have two wax rings to deal with, (I hope!) as I did, until the project was completed correctly.
I hope all will go well for you.
Regards
Roger I hugged my toilet......

Mike wrote:

the solution is to get a floor sander and sand up all the floor and then work on the bare wood with the stain.... tben when its dry you put on poly.. to cover the dry stain....