Desktop computer question

Page 3 of 3
On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 05:40:15 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband

When something happens in 1/10th the blink of an eye, increasing speed by a factor of 10 has virtually no perceptible effect. You have to be running some very powerful programming, running extremely complex calculations, to see any difference past a certain point (which I believe has already been excededm on most home computer systems. The resat of the sysyem already cannot keep up with the processor in most cases.

Yep, most users won't see much of a difference for web surfing or text editing.
I do a lot of video editing, so that's where I usually notice improvements the most. My last upgrade dropped my processing times from 6-8 hours down to an hour or two. That's a nice improvement, but all other operations are basically the same.
On Fri, 19 Aug 2016 05:16:52 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband

And 32 bit Windows XP, I believe, is incapable of making use of hyperthreading and actually using those 4 cores - particularly if the motherboard does not support hyperthreading (don't know if that unit does or not)

Upgrade the bios FIRST as the new bios is likely REQUIRED to run the new CPU
Terry Coombs wrote:

I've just ordered a new hdd , figure that before I start making any serious changes in this box I'll do a clean install and see how it acts . I'd wipe the one that's in there but there are programs I can't replace ... and I can always hook it up with my little adapter to access those if needed . Probably do a minimal install , I don't use a lot of those programs often and if I need one , as above I can hook up the old drive . It's amazing , new WD Caviar blue 320Gb drives are under 20 bucks now . Not so long ago I was paying over $50 a pop .
--
Snag

On Saturday, August 20, 2016 at 8:28:42 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:

If all you need is 320GB, for not too much more you can get a solid state drive. I did that when my 1.5TB HD died. I'm only using 75MB, so I replaced it with a 250GB SSD. System boots in about 20 secs now. I paid about $70, that was 8 months ago.
Uncle Monster wrote:

I have serious reservations about storing any of my stuff on somebody else's computer that's Zod-knows-where and who-knows-who can access it . Not that I have anything to hide , but it ain't nobody's business but mine for instance how much I budget for what .
--
Snag

You can avoid most privacy issues by encrypting your data before you upload it.
However, even with high speed broadband, backing up several hundred GB of data is going to be extremely slow.
It can also be expensive. For the cost of one year of online backups, I can buy an external hard drive with more capacity and faster backups.
If your internet access goes down, you won't be able to backup your data. Worse yet, you may not be able to recover a file when you need it.
If the backup company goes out of business, you'll probably lose access to the data you've backed up.
Most online backups only backup selected folders or files. If your hard drive fails you'll have to reinstall Windows, your applications, and the backup program before you can restore your data. With a local backup, you can simply restore the drive image to a new drive and be up and running again.
On 19/08/16 05:04, Terry Coombs wrote:

I am still using desktop PCs, also an AMD one. :)

Update the BIOS before installing the CPU.

For power-saving servers, how about motherboards with CPU bundled?
Example:
https://www.amazon.com/ASRock-Mini-DDR3-Motherboard-N3700-ITX/dp/B00YH2I5KO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid 71959002&sr=8-1&keywords=asrock+n3700
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!