Desk Light Transformer

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So, you've got a wire coming out of the load center EXACTLY as I said above. An inspector would immediately shut that down, here. You've got a *plug* on the end of a wire leaving the load center, correct?

How do you think an inspector is going to see that as legitimate?

Does the plug from your "table lamp" pass through the load center, then out and into some other source of power?

(I think not)

Reply to
Don Y

What do you think is wrong with a plug leading to a wire which goes through a wall? Load centre nothing to do with it. The wire just happens to pass through there, it's not connected to the load centre.

But not connected to it.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

An inspector, here, would flag any wire coming out of a load center with a plug on the end of it.

If you wanted to supply power to your household branch circuits THROUGH an alternate power source, you'd be required to install a transfer switch.

If folks where YOU are think nothing of it, then why would you not be willing to invite an inspector over?

Reply to
Don Y

Why?

I have no need to transfer anything, the lights only have one source, the UPS.

1) They most likely have rules as nonsensical as yours. 2) Why would I want an inspector to inspect my own house? I know it's fine. 3) If I was selling, it takes 5 minutes to put the wire back where it was. It's my UPS and I'd be taking it with me.
Reply to
James Wilkinson

Pull the main breaker.

Better yet, REMOVE THE METER.

Load center should be "safe", right? Every wire nut should be removable, every conductor touchable. The source of power has been completely removed from *everything*!

In your scheme, who's to say ALL of the circuits aren't still being powered by a 20KW genset behind the house? Is there any indication that there is another ACTIVE source of power in play (e.g., like a transfer switch)?

Reply to
Don Y

No, because I know I have a UPS. Same goes for people with solar panels on their roof.

You don't seem to understand how I've wired it despite me telling you several times. The lighting circuit and UPS don't connect to anything in the fusebox.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

The fire department, electrician, etc. don't know that.

*I* know I have a genset. But, just wiring it into the fuse box -- even KNOWING that I have to ensure that the breakers to which it attaches would have to be switched off prior to use -- doesn't count.

The same goes for solar panels.

A transfer switch IN PROXIMITY TO THE LOAD CENTER tells anyone who attempts to access the load center that there is an alternate source of power potentially available. EVEN IF YOU AREN'T AVAILABLE TO TELL THEM THAT!

I can "safely" wire my genset output to any of the branch circuits inside my house. And, dutifully disconnect the associated breakers. Even disconnect the wires *from* the breakers and cap them off with wire nuts/tape.

That doesn't mean it will pass an inspection!

The wires pass through the fuse box. And, I'm 100% sure there is a wire nut involved (or equivalent). Simple question to answer: yes or no?

Reply to
Don Y

Yous guys should go find a room! :D /?\ .?.

Reply to
bob_villain

I don't care for inspectors with silly rules. Every house does not have to adhere to some standard or other. Things can be different, viva la difference! I know where my electricity goes, and anyone else can work it out with the use of only a few brain cells (not that anyone would be tampering with my house). Eg if the lights are still on when you turn off the main switch, there's power from somewhere else.

I don't know what a wire nut is. A small piece of connector strip is used, like this:

._SY300_.jpg

Reply to
James Wilkinson

On Thu, 16 Jun 2016 21:00:39 +0100, bob_villain w= rote:

Holy f*ck that looks quite realistic in Opera.

-- =

Confucius say lion with small penis must compensate with mighty roar.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

That's pretty obvious!

Reply to
Don Y

Life is easier, simpler, cheaper, and better, if you just do things. Just make things work, don't follow silly rules, rules are for people with autism.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Rules allow us to live together in some sort of mutually agreed upon harmony. I.e., so *you* don't decide to drive through an intersection when it suits your desires, regardless of the desires or needs of others.

So *you* don't build a home out of bailing wire and cardboard that jeopardizes the homes of your neighbors.

So *you* don't walk into a club and shoot people of whom you are afraid.

Reply to
Don Y

No, those are guidelines. Anyone with sense runs a red light when nobody is in the way. Anyone with any sense breaks the speed limit.

Creating a rule that you mustn't murder someone doesn't stop murderers. We don't murder people because we don't want to. People who want to murder still do it even though it's illegal.

That's a stupid rule. I wouldn't care what my neighbour does on HIS LAND.

See above, that rule has no effect.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Exactly! If *I* want to set up a meat rendering plant on MY PROPERTY, I should be allowed to do so! If you don't like the smell from the process -- or, all the traffic as carcases are delivered at all hours of the day and night, *you* should relocate!

Likewise, if I want to burn tires, have an open sewer, host loud parties, etc. it's none of YOUR concern!

Reply to
Don Y

I sleep better knowing that the electrical wiring and gas plumbing in my house is built to code or better...but I'm just silly like that.

And since most building contractors have zero morals, I like building codes too.

Reply to
Tax Payer

When we did our remodel, I was tracing wires (ROMEX) to figure out where they all went. One went into a wall from which there was no possible exit! And, no fixture/device to which it might connect.

Turned out builder had simply forgotten to put the outlet on the end of the cable -- and no one had ever noticed it "missing".

Then you get the homeowners who *think* they know what they're doing...

Like whoever replaced the "three-way" light switch in the garage with a regular switch -- and "reasoned" that the third conductor (traveler) should obviously go to that THIRD screw on the switch... (you know, the GREEN one!)

Of course, as the Jboxes are all plastic, nowadays, this went unnoticed.

Until the other switch was in the "wrong" position when I tried to use the miswired switch: "Yikes! Why is the mounting hardware *not*?"

Or, the neighbor down the street with the ROMEX running across the lawn to the *pump* located adjacent to his garage.

Or, the folks with ROMEX stapled to the facia boards, exposed to our continuous heat and sun.

Yes, easier, simpler, cheaper -- and WRONG!

Burn your own house down -- and be sure none of the embers drift onto your neighbors' properties (or, alternately, don't be upset if embers from a neighbor's "uncontrolled bonfire" end up setting YOUR place on fire.

(The folks who seem to think they have absolute authority/justification to do what they want on THEIR property tend to have no problem imposing restrictions on what their NEIGHBORS can/can't do)

Reply to
Don Y

I thought you were nuts, but that connector strip is far superior to a wire nut. Maybe you live in an area that requires them? Europe has banned wire nuts, but I suspect it may be for economic reasons.

Anyway, remember: Building to Code is the WORST you are allowed to build anything. It's okay to build better, just not any worse.

Reply to
TimR

No. It's just that's the easiest and most common way to attach wires together. I virtually never see anything else used (except for a junction box with similar as part of the insides).

I wasn't aware (not that I care) that wire nuts were banned. They are readily available for sale in the UK. But I find them very difficult to get to stay on. I've only ever seen them used by car radio fitters, and most usually they've broken.

Allowed is not something I care about. I care only about functionality.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Don Y posted for all of us...

Should have a notice posted: No Life Safety Involved. Difficult decision to send a crew in to rescue this bozo.

Reply to
Tekkie®