Depth Micrometer - used for what?

I know - measuring depth. But, my ex is handling an estate sale, and found a Starrett model 400 depth micrometer in perfect condition. We're wondering who uses a tool like this so perhaps we can target the sales process more accurately.
Doug Kanter wrote:

Machinists Mechanics: valve lift, etc.

A machinist would use it. Anyone who works with metal accurately. Lathes, milling, maybe even CNC.
Doug Kanter wrote:

Don't get too excited.
http://search.ebay.com/depth-micrometer-starrett_W0QQcatrefZC5QQfclZ3QQfromZR6QQfrppZ50QQfsclZ1QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQpqryZdepthQ20mi crometerQ20starettQQsacatZQ2d1QQsacurZ0QQsaslopZ1QQsofocusZbs

http://search.ebay.com/depth-micrometer-starrett_W0QQcatrefZC5QQfclZ3QQfromZR6QQfrppZ50QQfsclZ1QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQpqryZdepthQ20mi
Holy smokes....lots of dead machinists.
Doug Kanter wrote:

Either that or they all moved to China to get work.
Travis Jordan wrote:

And now they are there making depth micrometers.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber7128

.....and using them to build Chrysler mini-van motors, with machining tolerances measured in feet. :-)
Travis Jordan wrote:

You'll notice this does pretty much the same job (look at the little stick on the end).
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Category.taf?f=bylogo&logourlntech%2Egif&brandn%2DTech
Accurate to 0.001''
$16. Jeesus.
message .

QQcatrefZC5QQfclZ3QQfromZR6QQfrppZ50QQfsclZ1QQfsooZ 1QQfsopZ1QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQpqryZdepthQ20mi
sofocusZbs
Machinists aren't dead. We just had to find other things to do as so much work has gone offshore.

Well....get over here! I need a 2"x3"x12" block of aluminum for a modification I'm making on each side of my boat trailer. I've called 3 metal shops so far and all I get is "Whuh?" I say "Imagine a wood 2x4, 12" long....well this is similar, but it's really 2"x3"x12", and I get "Whuh?"
Sigh......

R6QQfrppZ50QQfsclZ1QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQpqryZdepthQ20mi
Most of my tools these days have dials or else they are electronic...with LCD readout.
Other thing here is that in many larger shops the trend has gone towards having the company supply most gaging tools and standards--easier and less costly to maintain calibration and traceability this way.
--
SVL

Gynecologist, proctologist
050629 1558 - Edwin Pawlowski posted:

I've got my own depth gauge, and it's not micro...
They're all too tight and not deep enough...
indago wrote:

Wrong hole.

Turn her over on her back, stupid.
--