Denver Collects Fines On Drivers Who Stop At Red Lights

Page 4 of 4

There have been numerous studies done where they have installed cameras at intersections and the conclusion in every one I've seen is that they had no effect on safety at all. LA is a good example. After spending taxpayer $$$ to install them, they are taking them out, part of the reason being they say there was no impact on safety.
L.A. traffic cameras may get the red light Citing costs and safety issues, the Police Commission votes to shut the cameras down. Unless the City Council intervenes, their use at 32 intersections could end within weeks. June 08, 2011|By Joel Rubin, Los Angeles TimesThe Los Angeles Police Commission has voted to kill the city's controversial red-light camera program, rejecting claims that the system makes streets safer while costing the city nothing.
Tuesday's vote means that the red-light cameras installed at 32 intersections throughout the city could stop operating within a few weeks unless the City Council takes the unusual step of stripping the Police Commission of its authority over the issue.
I went to driver's school a few years ago after a fender bender to reduce the points, and other benefits.
I always had a question about entering an intersection when turning left. Do you enter, then wait out in the intersection, with your wheels turned left, until it is clear? Or wheels straight? You're a sitting duck for a speeding ambulance, police pursuit, rearender who will send you into oncoming traffic, whatever. If you stop back of the line, every car behind you honks.
I learned that YOU MUST NOT ENTER THE INTERSECTION UNTIL YOU CAN SAFELY MAKE YOUR TURN COMPLETELY. That would mean stopping behind the line. I have done that since, but before that, would sit out there, always having a feeling that I was doing something wrong, and always waiting and watching for something bad to happen. Another reason to get behind the line.
PLUS, I just love those people who cut the corner, coming through my left hand turn lane when they are making their LEFT hand turn. They must start their turn way before their own white line to get that far into my lane. Another reason for staying back behind the line.
Steve

I was taught to pull out into the intersection and keep wheels straight (so some numbskull hitting you in the rear doesn't push you into oncoming traffic). Once in the intersection, you owned it. *ENTERING* on a red-light was a no-no.

The opposite of my DE.

Worse are the people who drive in (serial) right turn lanes - and pass on the right. Many places around here share a left-turn (suicide) lane.

Traffic laws vary from state to state and evolve over time. I was tought the same thing, but in my current state, the law is to not enter the intersection unless you can clear it for the reasons the OP cited. Some locations use a red-X "clearway" design to indicate the same thing for through traffic.
On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 12:33:01 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Same here. Right or wrong, if you don't enter the intersection, and perhaps the car behind you right on your bumper, you'd never make the left in some cases. It is a matter or survival, regardless of the rules.
On 11/5/2011 2:55 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I most always pull into the intersection when waiting to make a left turn on a green light. If you wait behind the white line it may take a few cycles of the traffic light until one car can go, or at a very busy intersection you may never get the chance to go. It was very common to do up in PA, but down here in TN not many people do it... takes forever for traffic to flow that way. I pull into the intersections (to wait for my chance to make a left turn) in front of police all the time and so far no tickets.