Dental floss toilet beast (must see)

Page 1 of 2
My basement toilet had always been a slow flusher, so much so that it was seldom ever used. Decided to get one of those toilet augers from Home Depot and give it a spin today. Well, the darn thing got trapped in the pipe and all the twisting and pulling in the world couldn't release it. Had to remove the toilet to investigate. Here's what I found after shifting the toilet bowl;
http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/139781857/original
Had to cut the auger free;
http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/139785909/original
Figured it was then just a case of freeing the ball of dental floss from the rusted pipe but after cutting away and pulling, it started to look like I had bitten off more than I could chew. Perseverance finally prevailed after pulling with all my might using two hands. Wasn't really prepared for what slowly emerged from the pipe....A three foot long floss beast;
http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/139790294/original
Its head;
http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/139790297/original
Its belly;
http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/139790298/original
Moral of this story is probably never to flush dental floss down a toilet. You may never know what lurks beneath your toilet thereafter.
Add pictures here
✖

Auger you!
Add pictures here
✖

YYYYUUUUKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!
How long had you been in the house??? How many years had the beast been building up?
Add pictures here
✖

Alas, the beast be 13 years (or more) old. Plunged at it during many an encounter to no avail. I now breathe a sigh of relief knowing that it's finally slain.
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 22, 8:21 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

Nay, 'twas not I.
Add pictures here
✖
wrote Re Re: Dental floss toilet beast (must see):

That's what it looks like to me too.
It will be leaking someplace now.

✖

Sewer stack joints used to get packed with oakum, (either tarred hemp or bentonite soaked hemp.) Then filled with melted lead. I don't see how he could pull the oakum out unless it was a really badly done joint. Doubt it will cause a leak unless the lead bead is broken and he gets a backup.
--Vic
Add pictures here
✖

Well, Sherlock ya ain't.
Every single bell and hub joint in a three bathroom house would have to have been pulled out to create that amount of fibrous material, and it wouldn't have all collected at the one basement toilet flange.
✖

I agree. If that is what it was, it would have had to be put there through the toilet itself.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 21, 10:28 am, "Stormin Mormon"

No mop heads, just at least 13 years of dental floss. The green floss seemed to be the most resilient, hadn't used that in years but the relatively few strands of that had retained their color well and were one hell to cut.
Add pictures here
✖

Someone used one hell of a lot of dental floss. And musta flushed that toilet many thousands of time for that much to build up. Talk about a hoarder.
Steve
Add pictures here
✖

Something else to bear in mind is the nature of the pipe involved. Here we're talking iron with bumps, lumps and protrusions, just waiting to snag strands of floss, as opposed to smooth as a baby's bottom PVC;
http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/139832286/original
Add pictures here
✖

Something else to bear in mind is the nature of the pipe involved. Here we're talking iron with bumps, lumps and protrusions, just waiting to snag strands of floss, as opposed to smooth as a baby's bottom PVC;
http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/139832286/original
reply: Agreed. But I'd say there's about 500 rolls of dental floss there .......
Steve
Add pictures here
✖

Depends on the length of floss on a roll. The rolls I use have 200 yards of floss on them. Estimated usage over 13 years is 2.7 miles or approximately 24 rolls. About 2/3 of that were flushed.
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 05:55:02 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com"

That would screw me good. I have a "lift" system. All house water gets pumped out. Shortly after I spent $2100 for a plumber to replace the 50 year-old pump, it started vibrating. Plumber had to pull the pump out. $290. Believe me, this plumber was a bargain. He found a pair of shredded womans panties wrapped in the impeller. I figure a guest shit her pants and flushed them down. I almost feel like putting a sign opposite the commode. Just haven't settled on the wording.
--Vic
Add pictures here
✖

Looks like it can screw an entire city too;
http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20070110/floss_sewer_system_070110/20070110?hub=TorontoHome
Add pictures here
✖
On 11/23/2011 9:51 AM, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20070110/floss_sewer_system_070110/20070110?hub=TorontoHome
I just can't imagine myself having the slightest urge to flush something that isn't biodegradable down my toilet. I don't even put tissues down mine, the system isn't made for them. Maybe people with municipal sewer systems just don't give a shit and figure it's the city's problem?
Add pictures here
✖

"If it didn't come out of your colon don't be putting it in the bowl-in."
✖

P in the basin? And what about toilet paper? That would be one confusing sign IMO.
Add pictures here
✖

If you seldom used it...why would you waste a flush with floss? Can't quite identify any logic here!
Add pictures here
✖