Dental floss

Found a huge cache of dental floss in a bathroom cabinet long unvisited. I'd always heard it was very strong, so went on-line and found many sites l isting scores of uses from shoelaces to fishing line to repairing cracks in walls, to slicing cakes, and on & on.

This one was clever:

Quiet A Dripping Faucet This little trick might mean the different between you and a good night's s leep. If your faucet is leaking and it's too late at night to call a plumbe r, tie a piece of floss at the spout and let it trail down into the basin. This way, the water will simply slide down the string, instead of drip-drip

-dripping you awake all night.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

This one of the nifty ideas like bending a popsicle stick so that some wood remains and keeps the two halves connected. I doubt it really works.

You'd be better off to crumple a towel in the sink, so the water has a soft landing.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Oh! Then I won't have to call the plumber until I drop the floss down the drain and plug it up? ;o)

Reply to
Norminn

es listing scores of uses from shoelaces to fishing line to repairing crack s in walls, to slicing cakes, and on & on.

's sleep. If your faucet is leaking and it's too late at night to call a pl umber, tie a piece of floss at the spout and let it trail down into the bas in. This way, the water will simply slide down the string, instead of drip- drip-dripping you awake all night.

We had a "thread" about that a while back, someone retrieved a huge plug of dental floss from his "sew"er.

Reply to
TimR

Dental floss is usually nylon or PTFE fiber. Both of which would not degrade if flushed. Best to leave out of your pipes.

Reply to
Frank

Pipes, does that include eating dental floss?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If you are sleeping where you cannot "escape" the noise of a dripping faucet, there are bigger problems in your life

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

It's the same concept as using a chain or other "surface tension" device as a downspout.

DerbyDad03

This one was clever:

Quiet A Dripping Faucet This little trick might mean the different between you and a good night's sleep. If your faucet is leaking and it's too late at night to call a plumber, tie a piece of floss at the spout and let it trail down into the basin. This way, the water will simply slide down the string, instead of drip-drip-dripping you awake all night.

HB

--------------------

"Robert Shepard did not need a file baked in a cake to get out of jail. Instead, he used dental floss to make his escape. While cameras, guards and computer-controlled doors were keeping other inmates in, Shepard reportedly braided the floss into a rope as thick as a telephone cord and used it to scale an 18-foot wall."

Reply to
Pico Rico

Years ago when looking for imaginative talent one of the questions I'd ask is, "how many uses for a common cinder block can you think of, not related to its intended use in construcion?" Including bookshelving and coffee table legs, I could only come up with 6 myself [and think myself clever, who doesn't?] I was once told there were over 26 good uses, including one where you take a leather thong and hang it around your neck as a macho tiki god symbol. Remember the 60's and 70's?

Reply to
RobertMacy

Was this use on your list of 6 or on the expanded list of 26?

DerbyDad03

Per RobertMacy:

At the college I went to one of the fraternities inducted a guy who was a body builder. His initiation consisted of having to carry around a cinder block 24-7.

I once told my daughter's obese best friend to try carrying around a cinder block all day to get an idea of what losing 25-30 pounds could do for her life. She somehow internalized it as an automobile tire hanging on straps over her shoulders (a better image, IMHO) and told me years later - after she had lost many pounds - that it was really good advice.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

listing scores of uses from shoelaces to fishing line to repairing cracks in walls, to slicing cakes, and on & on.

sleep. If your faucet is leaking and it's too late at night to call a plum ber, tie a piece of floss at the spout and let it trail down into the basin . This way, the water will simply slide down the string, instead of drip-dr ip-dripping you awake all night.

Many of the comments were about dental floss blocking the plumbing. Wouldn 't that be because the DF was not properly tied to the faucet?

As to the snide comment about not being able to sleep because of the drippi ng, has writer ever heard of the Chinese water torture? Actually, dependin g what kind of sleeper you are, a sound like dripping faucet is PERFECT to keep you awake. For the record, I'm not one, but it sounds like a valid co ncept.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I'm not defending the "snide" comment, but I have to take issue with your reference to Chinese Water Torture.

CWT is a process where water is dripped onto the forehead of a restrained person. That is very different than water dripping in the sink within earshot of a person trying to fall sleep. Very different.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Sadly, weaponry WAS on my list.

Reply to
RobertMacy

Sadly, weaponry WAS on my list.

Reply to
RobertMacy

es listing scores of uses from shoelaces to fishing line to repairing crack s in walls, to slicing cakes, and on & on.

's sleep. If your faucet is leaking and it's too late at night to call a pl umber, tie a piece of floss at the spout and let it trail down into the bas in. This way, the water will simply slide down the string, instead of drip- drip-dripping you awake all night.

dn't that be because the DF was not properly tied to the faucet?

ping, has writer ever heard of the Chinese water torture? Actually, depend ing what kind of sleeper you are, a sound like dripping faucet is PERFECT t o keep you awake. For the record, I'm not one, but it sounds like a valid concept.

I KNEW people would weigh in on Chinese water torture, and I should have fo und a better analog to faucet dripping. Shutter banging? Too loud. Dog b arking? Too irregular. Oh well, there's something out there soft, insistent, invar iable, maddening.

People who didn't tie the floss SECURELY to the faucet and incurred plumbin g problems should check in with the Boy Scouts re: knots.

(Now where can I find a home for a half-dozen or more DF containers.)

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Call your local SPCDF and see if you can adopt them out, after they are spayed or neutered.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Soft, insistent, invariable, maddening

Women? Well, 3 out 4 isn't bad.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

In Chicago our aparment bathroom had separate faucets for hot and cold, and the hot was very hot, so I bought a mixer at the hardware store. Each end of it had an O-shaped rubber piece and the nozzle of each faucet could be put in one, and the output was in the middle.

But the faucets were pigeon-toed, not parallel, both pointing forwards. They were angled somewhat towards each other.

So I twisted them until they fit.

A few weeks later, the cold started to leak, under the sink. I put a bucket, but it was clear that would only work for a hour or two.

So I put a 12" box under the bucket, filled some surgical tubing with water, and turned it upside down to make a siphon into the toilet. It wasn't quite long enough so I put a big soda straw in the end of the tubing, and the rest of the soda straw under the seat, but above the bowl.

It was making noise, so I wrapped a washcloth around the pipe that was leaking and let it run to the bucket.

The plumber didn't come for about a month, no adjustments were made to the setup, and no water ever got on the floor. The siphon was self-regulating, speeding up when the leak speeded up (and the height of the water in the bucket was even higher than the end of the soda straw), and slowing down when it slowed down, (and the difference in height was less.)

Reply to
micky