Dental floss

Page 1 of 2
Found a huge cache of dental floss in a bathroom cabinet long unvisited. I'd always heard it was very strong, so went on-line and found many sites l isting scores of uses from shoelaces to fishing line to repairing cracks in walls, to slicing cakes, and on & on.
This one was clever:
Quiet A Dripping Faucet This little trick might mean the different between you and a good night's s leep. If your faucet is leaking and it's too late at night to call a plumbe r, tie a piece of floss at the spout and let it trail down into the basin. This way, the water will simply slide down the string, instead of drip-drip -dripping you awake all night.
HB
On 5/13/2014 12:18 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:

stick so that some wood remains and keeps the two halves connected. I doubt it really works.
You'd be better off to crumple a towel in the sink, so the water has a soft landing.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 5/13/2014 12:18 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Oh! Then I won't have to call the plumber until I drop the floss down the drain and plug it up? ;o)
On Tuesday, May 13, 2014 6:52:55 AM UTC-4, NorMinn wrote:

s in walls, to slicing cakes, and on & on.

umber, tie a piece of floss at the spout and let it trail down into the bas in. This way, the water will simply slide down the string, instead of drip- drip-dripping you awake all night.

We had a "thread" about that a while back, someone retrieved a huge plug of dental floss from his "sew"er.
On 5/13/2014 7:55 AM, TimR wrote:

Dental floss is usually nylon or PTFE fiber. Both of which would not degrade if flushed. Best to leave out of your pipes.
On 5/13/2014 8:30 AM, Frank wrote:

Pipes, does that include eating dental floss?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 5/13/2014 8:50 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Garbage in, garbage out.
On 5/12/2014 11:18 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

If you are sleeping where you cannot "escape" the noise of a dripping faucet, there are bigger problems in your life<g>

It's the same concept as using a chain or other "surface tension" device as a downspout.
http://i.stack.imgur.com/7qwDF.jpg
http://www.prettycleverdecor.com/media/10/a20791a126e99518a36cd4_l.jpg
Found a huge cache of dental floss in a bathroom cabinet long unvisited. I'd always heard it was very strong, so went on-line and found many sites listing scores of uses from shoelaces to fishing line to repairing cracks in walls, to slicing cakes, and on & on.
This one was clever:
Quiet A Dripping Faucet This little trick might mean the different between you and a good night's sleep. If your faucet is leaking and it's too late at night to call a plumber, tie a piece of floss at the spout and let it trail down into the basin. This way, the water will simply slide down the string, instead of drip-drip-dripping you awake all night.
HB
--------------------
"Robert Shepard did not need a file baked in a cake to get out of jail. Instead, he used dental floss to make his escape. While cameras, guards and computer-controlled doors were keeping other inmates in, Shepard reportedly braided the floss into a rope as thick as a telephone cord and used it to scale an 18-foot wall."

Years ago when looking for imaginative talent one of the questions I'd ask is, "how many uses for a common cinder block can you think of, not related to its intended use in construcion?" Including bookshelving and coffee table legs, I could only come up with 6 myself [and think myself clever, who doesn't?] I was once told there were over 26 good uses, including one where you take a leather thong and hang it around your neck as a macho tiki god symbol. Remember the 60's and 70's?
On 5/13/2014 11:17 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

Sharpening stone for machetes?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

1. bookcase shelf supports 2. coffee table legs 3. Sharpening stone for machetes 4. handy desk top paper weight 5. kitchen utensil for 'manually' grinding herbs 6. convenient wrist band as memory improvement device

Was this use on your list of 6 or on the expanded list of 26?
http://markmaynard.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/2011ArtFairViolence.jpg
Per RobertMacy:

At the college I went to one of the fraternities inducted a guy who was a body builder. His initiation consisted of having to carry around a cinder block 24-7.
I once told my daughter's obese best friend to try carrying around a cinder block all day to get an idea of what losing 25-30 pounds could do for her life. She somehow internalized it as an automobile tire hanging on straps over her shoulders (a better image, IMHO) and told me years later - after she had lost many pounds - that it was really good advice.
--
Pete Cresswell

On Monday, May 12, 2014 9:18:57 PM UTC-7, Higgs Boson wrote:

in walls, to slicing cakes, and on & on.

ber, tie a piece of floss at the spout and let it trail down into the basin . This way, the water will simply slide down the string, instead of drip-dr ip-dripping you awake all night.
Many of the comments were about dental floss blocking the plumbing. Wouldn 't that be because the DF was not properly tied to the faucet?
As to the snide comment about not being able to sleep because of the drippi ng, has writer ever heard of the Chinese water torture? Actually, dependin g what kind of sleeper you are, a sound like dripping faucet is PERFECT to keep you awake. For the record, I'm not one, but it sounds like a valid co ncept.
HB
On Tuesday, May 13, 2014 10:30:49 AM UTC-7, Higgs Boson wrote:

s in walls, to slicing cakes, and on & on.

umber, tie a piece of floss at the spout and let it trail down into the bas in. This way, the water will simply slide down the string, instead of drip- drip-dripping you awake all night.

ing what kind of sleeper you are, a sound like dripping faucet is PERFECT t o keep you awake. For the record, I'm not one, but it sounds like a valid concept.
I KNEW people would weigh in on Chinese water torture, and I should have fo und a better analog to faucet dripping. Shutter banging? Too loud. Dog b arking? Too irregular. Oh well, there's something out there soft, insistent, invar iable, maddening.
People who didn't tie the floss SECURELY to the faucet and incurred plumbin g problems should check in with the Boy Scouts re: knots.
(Now where can I find a home for a half-dozen or more DF containers.)
HB
On 5/14/2014 12:49 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Call your local SPCDF and see if you can adopt them out, after they are spayed or neutered.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I'm not defending the "snide" comment, but I have to take issue with your reference to Chinese Water Torture.
CWT is a process where water is dripped onto the forehead of a restrained person. That is very different than water dripping in the sink within earshot of a person trying to fall sleep. Very different.

Sadly, weaponry WAS on my list.