Dense Pack Cellulose in 50yo house

I'm looking to get my currently uninsulated walls filled with dense-pack cellulose. From everything I read, it looks like the way to go for this type of retrofit.

My house is about 50yo, plaster inside walls. Overall, construction is pretty tight. Located in eastern PA.

two questions:

1) any reason why I should NOT use cellulose for filling the walls of this era house? I hear that pressures are high enough that people have had walls damaged by the process.

2) what's typical cost (per sq. ft?) for dense-pack? I understand that there are lots of variables, but it would be nice to know if I'm getting a highball price. Contractors in my area tend to try to squeeze every last penny out of you because it's a high rent district. It's not unusual to get quotes 50% higher for nearly identical work just 15 miles south of here.

Thanks,

Reply to
Astro

I was googling insulation and there are a few new ways for fiberglass and cellulose to be instaled with a glue binder so it does not settle, there are different R values as well. So some ways insulate much better. Do a Google, use the phone book ,get prices, facts and refrences, even foams are back. Some new processes may not be avalaible in your area, so look around. Also alt.bldg.construction and alt.energy homepower

Reply to
m Ransley

Hi, I don't mean to sound snarky. I spent about 5 hours Googling and the information I saw indicated that dense-pack cellulose absolutely doesn't settle since as it's already "densely packed". Lots of benefits are listed

- almost zero air infiltration, sealing of air leaks, little/no insulative capacity change over time, bug/mouse resistance. I found nothing about any variations on the dense-pack cellulose installations. Can you give some specific links?

I plan on getting a few bids. Definitely a good idea.

The question is, what type of price should I expect? I know nobody likes answering pricing questions and the stock answer is invariably "talk to the local contractor", which I plan to.

I understand pricing varies depending on the difficulty of the job, geographical norms, etc. But there's got to be a "reasonable" price for this type of job. And since I plan on doing several properties, it would be nice to have a baseline cost.

Anybody in Eastern PA, NJ or thereabouts who have had dense pack cellulose installed in their walls? Can anybody recommend a contractor around here (Bucks County, PA) who does it? The yellow pages for Doylestown only shows people who do polyurethane.

thanks

Reply to
Astro