Demolition

Need to gut a house, tear down interior non-bearing walls, remove all flooring (carpet, wood, tiles etc...) and prep for new flooring (stone tiles) and new walls.
Can I hire a demo team just to do destruction and removal? Where would I find them under?
Thanks,
MC
call a temp agency under employment in the phone book
miamicuse wrote:

One good handy man with a couple of helpers should be able to do it. It ain't rocket surgery, but it would be a good idea to have at least one guy who knows what he is doing, or they may REALLY demolish the place. There are all kinds of things in those walls .......... water pipes ....... electricity ........ cables ....... vents ......... and they are easy to screw up. Getting those things fixed if they are unintentionally demolished will defeat your cost cutting efforts. Calling for a "demolition team" is entirely different than calling for someone who is experienced in removing things with the intention of rebuilding. If you are going to "gut" the house, you really need someone who's experienced or you will have to pay a lot to redo what amateurs fuck up.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

And, if the OP doesn't know where to find labor, who is going to decide what is a bearing wall and what trim to save? TB
It can be fun, watching a home go from trashed to nice. At least I enjoyed it. GREAT EXERCISE!
I recommend the owner is on site because stuff comes up and decisions must be made!
Delays cost $$$ and maybe worse time....

If this person doesn't know even where to get the labor, I doubt they would know much about what else to do. To me, they would just be a PITA homeowner interrupting me every twenty minutes.
Remember? Their first delay so far is knowing where to get labor.
Steve
On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 00:39:56 -0800, "Steve B"

Most major remodels I've been on have involved much re-routing of plumbing and wiring anyway, especially where kitchens and/or baths are involved.
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info

Agreed. I just meant to say that hiring inexperienced people and giving them instructions to "demolish" this might not be a good idea. And even people who know what they're doing goof up. One could say "just tear everything out", but I wouldn't.
Steve

If you're hiring a contractor to do the renovations, it's usually best to get them to do the demolition too. More incentive to not screw up.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
If you're hiring a contractor to do the renovations, it's usually best to get them to do the demolition too. More incentive to not screw up.
MAYBE, hey hit that item here and we get the extra $ replacing the entire run:(

Not if you're operating on a fixed cost contract ;-)
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

You will find them under the trees in front of HD or Lowes any morning of the week. Se Habla Espanol?(watching the news lately i.e. guest workers). Around here its $10 per hour flat for just about any unskilled labor.
Most of these guys are just grunts but some are actually talented. Best to hire a good handyman and let him conjur up a crew unless you want to get really involved.