Delta tub/shower faucet

I recently moved into an older home (1988) and discovered that the hot water doesn't run in the tub/shower. It runs ok in the sink and also to the washer that is in that bathroom. I opened the faceplate and turned the little screws (on/off valve?) but no hot water. When I turn the knob all the way to hot it seems like its cutting the water off a little. Could the whole faucet be broken? Or am I overlooking something? I checked for additional shut-off valves down cellar and didn't see and additional ones other than the one I turned on for the hot water for the rest of the bathroom. I'd really like to avoid calling the plumber on this one if its something I might be able to troubleshoot. As always.......thanks for the input!

Reply to
new england gal

Not broken. Probably a pressure balance valve inside is stuck due to corrosion. Can be repaired without wholesale replacement but needs some disassembly.

Go to Delta's site; they have good repair info:

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Thanks Jim!

Reply to
new england gal

I just replaced the seals inside my delta faucet, the faucets are pretty straight forward to work with, and you will have no problem with them, if you have a basic mechanical understanding, one thing that I would point out though, is that the replacement cartridge to fix a number of those faucets runs around 50 buck, while the seals are about 50cents I found this link very helpful in my case, not sure if you have the same faucet or not,

Dave

Reply to
JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMil

Thanks! That link was very helpful! One more question. I'm feeling pretty dumb about this question but here goes: When I was checking shutoffs in the cellar I closed the shutoff for the hot water line to the bathroom then opened it again. Now there is a leak coming from that knob. Not a big leak but about a drop now and then. Is there something I can do to fix this? I obviously shouldn't be monkeying around with plumbing but I didn't think that opening and closing that knob would hurt anything! Thanks in advance!

Reply to
new england gal

There should be a hex nut on the shaft just past the handle. Tighten that nut a bit.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim