Delta Shower Faucet Repair advice?

So it was that time again to replace the washers and springs in one of my Delta shower faucets. I noticed that the left side shut-off valve (the one turned with a screw driver to shut the water so the mixing valve can be disassembled) had a very slow leak and now that I've turned it its gotten a little worse.
OK - so it appears that it is just another valve. The problem I have is I have no idea what part(s) to obtain to repair it. And, of course, the repair needs to be through the 6" hold 'cause its a one-piece fiberglas shower.
I did look through the Delta Faucets site for parts but my model is 30 years old and I want to be sure its the right part/washer.
So, anyone who is familiar with this PLEASE provide some guidance to which part/washer and size and any specifics on changing? I'm assuming I'll need to shut off the house water and remove the washer cap with a socket, replace the washer and packing then reinstall.
Am I on the right track? Thanks all and Merry Xmas (or what ever persuasion you may be)
On 12/22/2013 11:14 AM, BobMCT wrote:

If you don't know the specific model about the only things one can do are --
1) take the pieces to the local location that has the best selection(+) of replacement parts and match them by comparison, or
2) contact Delta with what information you do have and perhaps pictures if you can't identify it specifically.
Of the two, 1) typically is the simpler by far altho if you don't have a cutoff other than the whole house you need to plan around that "feature".
(+) There generally is at least one hardware store that has a very much wider selection of repair parts than the run-of-the-mill places that may or may not happen to have the one in particular you need. Larger Ace outlets are a reasonable bet if you don't know that particular one in your neighborhood already. With Delta there's a reasonable chance it'll be common-enough anybody will have it, but with a time crunch may as well try the better-stocked to begin with.

I know you didn't ask but have you considered replacing your existing faucet with something more modern - something with anti-scald protection? Does your 30 YO faucet have any anti-scald protection built in or are you still putting up with cold and hot bursts when another fixture is used?
On Sun, 22 Dec 2013 19:58:02 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

Actually it IS modern enough to have scald and balancing control. And in regards to the previous suggestion... we're scheduled to gut the master bath this summer and completely redo it. That means the one-piece fiberglas shower which was popular way back when will be replaced with a walk-in tiled version. With ALL NEW plumbing.
But - for now, until I find the part(s), I was able to open the valve with a screwdriver then use a wrench to cince down the collet (or whatever its called) which stopped the small drip leak. Whew! With any luck it will last until summer.
Thanks all (again)
Bob,
It's likely that your faucet has a lifetime warranty and Delta has really good customerservice. Call them. They' ll sort out your problem and mail you the parts.
Dave M.