Delta Faucet set screw stuck, then hubby tried to drill out screw and broke off the tap out. what do i do now?

Page 1 of 2
Delta faucet set screw won't budge, so hubby drilled out set screw placed tap out and used pliers to turn it when that broke off in the hole. Now what should we do to get that out and the set screw.
On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 9:44:05 AM UTC-4, Tammy Longest wrote:

Without knowing what exactly this set screw goes into, no way to tell you what all the options are. But sounds like you can forget about getting the set screw out and proceed with whatever the other options are, eg, removing/replacing a stem, the whole faucet, etc. Unless there is enough of the "tap out" let, (whatever that is, assuming you mean an easy out type screw extractor) so you can grip it with pliers and that works, which seems unlikely.
replying to trader_4, Tammy Longest wrote: Could I try and drill out the tap out? Without getting this off I can not get the faucet off.
On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 12:44:05 PM UTC-4, Tammy Longest wrote:

The tap is hardened steel, basically it's as hard as a drill bit. Theoretically, with the right drill bit, in the right set up, eg drill press where you have total control, *maybe*, you could, but even then I wouldn't waste my time attempting. Where it is in the sink, with a handheld drill, fuggadaboutit.
I've yet to see a faucet where a set screw keeps you from just removing and replacing the whole faucet.
In typed:

Any chance that you could provide a photo or two? That would probably help. If you take a photo with a digital camera you can use http://tinypic.com/to upload the photo(s) and it will give you a link to the photo(s) that you could post here.
Without seeing what you really have there, one guess is that using a hack saw (or maybe an angle grinder) to get the existing handle off may be a good start -- then deal with the "tap out" that you said broke off once the handle is out of the way.
| Could I try and drill out the tap out? Without getting this off I can not get | the faucet off. |
It happens that I had the exact same problem this week. I was going to replace the washers in our kitchen faucet. The red/blue plug was hard to get out, then I couldn't get the set screw to turn. I tried WD-40 for a few days. No help. I've decided to leave it for now and probably replace the faucet if it ever gets leaky.

It is too late for the OP, where a hacksaw appears to be the best tool to use!
If it is just a stuck set screw, I would try using the correct Allen bit in a drill that has a clutch for driving screws. With the clutch set to the lowest number and drill set for reverse, it is unlikely to strip the Allen screw. Vibration of the clutch slipping may loosen the screw.
Increasing the clutch setting may then be necessary if the screw does not move. At some higher setting it may strip the Allen screw. Then the hacksaw approach is less expensive than a new faucet.
Fred
On Sat, 9 Apr 2016 11:13:56 -0400, "Mayayana"

Unlike some here, I love WD-40, but I think something like Liquid Wrench would work better to unstick stuck screws. Maybe it's thinner?
| Unlike some here, I love WD-40, but I think something like Liquid | Wrench would work better to unstick stuck screws. Maybe it's thinner?
In this case it's also hard to get it in there. The screw head points down when the water is off. I'd have to turn off the water just to leave the screw in a horizontal position. There's no way to leave it so that the liquid can soak in.
On 4/11/2016 9:04 AM, Mayayana wrote:

Capillary action. It will soak in.
On 4/8/2016 9:44 AM, Tammy Longest wrote:

Great dilemma you have. I read a web page of someone else who broke their thread tap and wanted to drill it out. The suggestion was a carbide drill bit.
http://www.shopyourway.com/questions/1089302
but I'm also thinking it might be a lot easier time-wise to put in a new faucet.
Jan Alter
"Jan Alter" wrote in message
On 4/8/2016 9:44 AM, Tammy Longest wrote:

Great dilemma you have. I read a web page of someone else who broke their thread tap and wanted to drill it out. The suggestion was a carbide drill bit.
http://www.shopyourway.com/questions/1089302
but I'm also thinking it might be a lot easier time-wise to put in a new faucet.
Jan Alter
Carbide bit would not help especially if you have brooking tap the only way to get tap out, you use old top sharping it up and try to brake remaining part into micro peace's inside of hole, broking peace's can be pull out by use of magnet or air pressure (air use use safety glasses) it is very slow process and in most cases you will need renew the treads with larger tap (blind-tap) and installing larger set screw. Note: before you use new tap make sure that all parts of old tap or out.
says...

ESL!
--
Mustaffa Sheboygan

if its a delta single handle..........
use a hacksaw to cut the handle apart, and the top of the ball, then replace parts as needed
On Fri, 08 Apr 2016 13:44:01 +0000, Tammy Longest

Contact Delta and get a free replacement. They are guaranteed for life. Don't tell them about the drilling, just the problem that had you working on it in the first place.
On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 9:44:05 AM UTC-4, Tammy Longest wrote:

Just imagine how much a picture would help.
Tony944 really needs to get help with spelling!!!!!
On Fri, 08 Apr 2016 13:44:01 +0000, Tammy Longest

Kitchen faucet, bathroom, where?
One handle for hot and cold both, two handles?
If it's a single handle kitchen faucet, a hacksaw can cut through the handle so it's removed and replaced. There's a quarter inch shaft in the middle and if you're lucky, do a good job, you wont' damage that, but if worst comes to worst you can buy a new ball too.
I only found it in white. Maybe make sure it's sold in chrome too before cutting the current one in half. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-Single-Lever-Kitchen-Handle-Kit-in-White-RP28898WH/203935431 $22

-White-RP28898WH/203935431

If you do this, put ANTI-SIEZE on the threads of the new set screw. Next time it will come right out.

I only looked in HD, not elsewhere online.
Of course the worst would be you'd have to buy a whole faucet and just use the handle. Then you'd have a spare faucet, but someday you'll find someone with a bad faucet and a good handle. It's still a lot easier than replacing the whole faucet which has some possibility of creating leaks too.