Delta 1400 Series Shower Pressure Balanced Valve

I have been in my new home 6 years. I have had to replace the RP10904 Cartridge assembly in the valve 5 times. It is in the master bath. It will last about 6-8 months and then start making a knocking noise when ever the water is turned off anywhere else in the house. It will continue to get worse and is very annoying. It is trash getting in the lower assembly in the spool piece that controls the pressure balance per Delta. I have disassembled a couple used ones and could find nothing. Delta will not say if it is ok to remove the spool but they recommend not to. I keep the water temp at 105 deg so scalding is not an issue. Anyone ever remove the spool piece to correct this problem? If so could you tell any difference in the valve operation? Thanks
Correction - Replaced PR19804 Cartridge

You said there's trash getting in the lower assembly, but you could find nothing.
If you found nothing, how do you know there's trash? Who said there was trash?
On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 00:09:24 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
Fix that first!!
Oren --
Try this. Turn off the water heater. Turn off the water at the main. Open the lowest faucet in the house (outside tap maybe) Open the highest tap. Let things drain out (you done need to drain the water heater. When it stops draining, turn the water back on and close off the faucets. Turn each faucet on slowly to remove air from the lines. That may take care of it. Hint: I am thinking the problem is not the valve, but rather a saturated anti-hammer device.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit