Delta 1400 faucet surprise

Just for the record, and in case anyone has more detailed information. Our Delta 1400 series single-lever bathtub faucet has been leaking, and my internet searches turned up several exploded diagrams with the water control balls in them. I purchased Delta parts at HD and disassembled. To my surprise - I know nothing about plumbing - the internals were completely different. They are pictured at http://www.zhando.com/faucet/faucetpix.html I actually used the rubber seats and springs that were for the ball-control system, and they appeared to fix the problem. You can see what I'm talking about in image 5. Now for my questions: what's the best way to search for a diagram that would have showed me these parts? Everything I came up with for the 1400 series was different. And does anybody know more about this system, where to get a repair kit, etc.?
Thanks,
Bruce Kimball from Louisville

My house has the same type faucets. HD has the correct parts. BTW: The ball type is only on the faucets with the handle that swivels. The type you lift the handle to turn on and twist to adjust the temperature.
Al