Dehumidifier where fan is NOT always on - Is there such a thing?

Page 2 of 2
On Wednesday, July 9, 2014 12:58:25 AM UTC-4, Gz wrote:

I thhink that's probably the reason most of them keep the fan running all the time. With air circulating, the humidifier is going to get a better representation of the typical air in the room.
I'd prefer if they had a mode where you can set an on/off duty cycle, like on 4 hours, off 4 hours. The ones I've seen have a timer that will shut it off after 2, 4, 6 hours, but won't start it up again.

My LG does have duty cycle. 2 or 4 hours. The humistat setting still works in that mode.
Greg
On 7/9/2014 12:58 AM, gregz wrote:

old GE (Gree MIC). The Frigidaire fan shuts off, however, because there is wetness inside the unit, it will fire up again as the moisture evaporates and make the humidity go up inside the case. It keeps going on and off, ad nauseum. The Frigidaire is very quiet compared to the old Gree. The digital humidity control is a dismal failure. Besides the problem above, if you set it to 45% it will lower the humidity to somewhere in the 40s. If you set it to 50%, it will hold it to about 55% ... What's this all about? Anyway, I have ordered an outboard humidity controller, but it hasn't come yet. I'll see how that works?
On 7/10/2014 1:34 PM, Art Todesco wrote:

Well, I went through 2 Frigidaires and 1 GE before biting the bullet and getting the Aprilaire. Collectively, those 3 lasted about 15 months in total (9 months, 3 months and 3 months) before freezing themselves into a brick.
The instructions said they controlled to +- 5%. Initially, I took that to mean 5% of the reading. In practice, it turned out to mean a swing of 5% to either side on the setting.
On Friday, July 11, 2014 10:09:33 AM UTC-4, Mike wrote:

I think extended warranties are almost always a bad idea. But I think they should be considered in the case of dehumidifiers. When I went to buy one about 3 years ago, I had an online price that I was using to negotiate with at the local appliance store. The guy finally made me an offer, where it was about $35 more, but he his deal included an extended warranty. Sure enough, it failed during the extended period. And of course, when I went to get it honored, they didn't have the same model, only one that was 10 pints a day larger in capacity. So, I wound up paying another $30, but it was still an overall good deal.
Given that a lot of these fail at 2 or 3 years, I think an extended warranty is worth at least considering.