Dehumidifier Repair?

I have a Sears dehumidifier like this one...
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=APPL&pid254501000&catřhumidifiers
It's about 3 years old.
It's not running right now, and I'm trying to determine if there is something wrong with it, or if it is because the humidity is low and it is designed to not run based on the humidity setting. It has a humidity control on it that is set on 40%. We live in SW Indiana, so it's not too humid now. However, the basement is damp right now and the dehumidifer isn't kicking on. I'll probably wait until Spring to see if it will come on and replace it then if it is broken. However, I was wondering if anyone has advice on something to check inside the dehumifier to see if any of the components need to be replaced.
Thanks,
Ryan
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
herlihyboy wrote:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=APPL&pid254501000&catřhumidifiers
First that humidistat is not likely to be very accurate or sensitive. That 40% is likely give or take 20% and may not kick in until it thinks the humidity is 10% too high. This time of year in most areas you do not need a dehumidifier if you ventilate the basement with the rest of the house that is usually too dry.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
‚úĖ
Sears has a humidifier made for low temperature use but you don't have the right model. If you want to see if it works take it to a warm spot and put it in the always on setting and see what happens. By the way the refrigeration unit is probably warrantied for 5 years though the new units have a shorter warranty. Some other brands warranty the whole unit 5 years with labor.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=APPL&pid254501000&catřhumidifiers
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Art Wrote: > Sears has a humidifier made for low temperature use but you don't have > the

One simple way to test it is to put it in your bathroom while you are taking a long shower. This will overcome any possible inaccuracy on its detector.
--
a1steelbuildings

Add pictures here
‚úĖ

Yeah. Put in in the tub while you are taking a shower....
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Thanks to all for the advice [especially yours, Red!].
Ryan
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Get a good hygrometer and see what the actual humidity level actually is.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ