Dehumidifier redux, bought an LG

Picked up an LG brand dehumidifier today for possible use in the garage. This one does appear to work correctly - shuts off when you remove the bucket; properly restores after unplugging while running and plugging back in (for how long? I will find out.) It is a little on the loud side but it is quieter than the DeLonghi unit that I had before. I moved the ancient DeLonghi out to the garage, and currently have the LG in the house. I think what I will do is put it on a cheap Intermatic timer so it's not running during the hours that I'm typically in the basement - I'll have it on early in the AM when everyone's asleep and that should help out the grid anyway. The reason I am doing this is because like apparently many new dehumidifiers the fan runs constantly, causing some noise and extra energy use that really is not required even when the compressor is not running. I haven't done this yet because I thought I'd "inherited" a couple of the little Intermatic plug ins when I bought the house, but when I dug one out to use it I found it's missing the little on/off plastic inserts.
We'll see if it holds up OK; I'm a little nervous because of all the comments I've read online, but it's not offensively noisy like I was led to expect at least, although it is a little louder than the Frigidaire unit that I took back because it also ran the fan 24/7 but would not restart after a power failure and also it appeared to have an issue with the bucket switch.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I do not think the fan should always run, is it an Energy Star unit, you waste alot with a fan always on.
ransley wrote:

yes it is and I can't seem to find a new dehumidifier where the fan *doesn't* alwyas run.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

My 2 sears shut off completely one is maybe 3 yes old one maybe 4 both energy star rated, maybe call tech support to ask if they should run. But what is humidity set at on the unit and what is humidity where they are located, raise its set point to see if shuts off, maybe they just cant keep up and are actualy pulling out moisture and are to small for the job. Consumers reports tested a few for efficency and the winner was some off brand.