dehumidifier recommendation

I need to purchase a new dehumidifier. My old Sears one (at least 18 years old) just died. I was going to buy a new Sears model, but the reviews (including user reviews on the Sears website) are very bad. Whirlpools were not too much better. Soleus CFM-40 looks to have good reviews (as per epinions.com), can anyone verify? One con, the fan runs continuously. I'm not finding many good reviews (for any brand). Consumer Reports has not tested dehumidifiers for several years. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
Bill

Sams Club has'em, $139, about 800 Watts. Automatic shut off, about 2 gal bucket, which you can add a hose to, for continuous drain. Fan shuts off w/ unit (I think). Not quiet, but not that noisey. Have 2, one for over a year, seems fine. Solid state. GE, I think, but made in china, of course. Friend got what seemed to be a nicer one from HD, forgot the brand. Compressor won't start, about 1 year old.

It's amazing how much water these things collect on a humid day.

Consumer's Report is OK, but sometimes I wonder if those people just don't need to get outside more, catch some sun.... Or get people who really USE the stuff, who will call a spade a spade, instead of these hemming and hawing lab assholes. Half the time I read that stuff, I have no idea what I've read. If I use CR, I look at the summary, the best buy, and pray they're right.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

I will strongly recommend that you start with the use you need it for. Basement or other locations that may be cool need a model designed for those locations. Many people (including myself before I found out) assume that a dehumidifier will work in any normal location like a basement which is of course a very common place for them. The problem is they will ice up. There are some models designed for those locations, if you have such a location be sure to buy one designed for it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I've had a couple of Whirlpool dehumidifiers for five years or so, and never a problem with either of them. (Bought new)

Don't neglect the possibility of buying used equipment: I also have an Admiral dehumidifier that I bought *used* at least fifteen years ago (no idea how old it actually is) and it still works well, although it will need a new fan motor sometime soon.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I've had good luck with a Fedders. They used to make them for Maytag, but now they have their own name on them.Try:

Remi

I thought dehumidifiers were inherently designed *not* to ice up! Otherwise, you'd be just as well off w/ a window A/C brought inside the room! Which I've tried, but guess what, it iced up in the cooler weather! :(

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message news:QTp2h.182$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.lga...

No they are not. Nor would most window A/C's be of much use as most current models are designed to evaporate the condensation one the warm condensing coils gaining efficiency and reducing or eliminating the dripping from them.

For example I just checked Home Depot and they had two listed. The first and most expensive indicated an operating temp range of 40 degree and higher. The cheaper model indicated it was suitable for "living areas" with no mention of operating temperatures. Guess which one is going to freeze up?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Good idea, have seen it in the Amana portable A/C, but even tho condensed water is pretty pure, over time I would expect crud/rust on the coils. Yeah, sposedly it's all copper/alum, but I've seen real rusty condenser fins--mebbe rust carried up from the frame/casing?

------ Mr. P.V.'d (formerly Droll Troll), Yonkers, NY Stop Corruption in Congress & Send the Ultimate Message: Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican. Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way* to Materially Improve Your Family's Life. entropic3.14decay at optonline2.718 dot net; remove pi and e to reply--ie, all d'numbuhs

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Neon John's measurements say they are more efficient dehumidifiers than dehumidifiers. Cheaper too. Perhaps their designs are more up-to-date.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

I bought a Kenmore top of the line a few years ago. It breaks every year. It has a five year sealed system warranty and so far that has taken care of repairs but new ones have 1 year warranty making them worthless.

Reply to
Art

Actually, a window A/C in the middle of a room w/ a drip pan would work just fine. You could solve the icing problem by simply ducting some of the exhaust air back to the cooling coil. Sort of a pita, but def'ly doable in a basement situation.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®