dehumidifier question

I live in a humid climate, and need to use a dehumidifier even in the winter. I purchased a 70 pint low temp unit and it does a good job of taking the moisture out of the air. However, it often shuts off the fan, but the unit still make noises like it is on (compressor running?) It is like it has three modes: fan and compressor on, fan off and compressor on, and all off.
Is this normal operation for a dehumidifier, or is mine defective? I don't see why the compressor would be running when the fan is off.
This might be a really good time to find and read the owners manual.

Bob wrote:

When the compressor shuts off, the freon is still under pressure and will make hissing gurgling noises for a few minutes until the pressure equalizes.
Mark

Yeah I already tried Kenmore.com and sears.com to no avail. Mine is long gone. Does anyone have one of these dehumidifiers and still have the manual?
If you have the model number, you can try calling Sears parts at 800-733-1381. They've been able to get literature for me.

Most home dehumidifiers freeze at below 63- 65, sears has one thatr can operate to apx 45, but it defrosts itself.

No it is not a hissing sound, something is definitely running. I noticed today that when I turned my heat up, the fan kept running. Could temperature have something to do with it? Maybe the thing freezes up or something?
It is designed to run fan to thaw out if frost is detected, look for frost if it is run in cooler than 66f degrees, Maybe low freon can cause frost, call sears repair they will know.
If the coil is frozen, it usually means it's low on refrigerant.

Yes, but it runs opposite to this. The fan is off, but the compressor is on. What purpose would this serve?