dehumidifier problem

Hi, Friends, I have a Kenmore Dehumidifier (model 580.54501) that has been working dutifully in my basement for several years. It suddenly stopped working a couple of days ago. The problem was that the "bucket full" LED was slowly flashing (once every 1 or 2 seconds), and the motor did not run. The humidity display was showing "01". It was definitely not the bucket, because it was empty, and was properly placed. I even removed the bucket and pressed the water level control switch all the way in, the bucket full LED was still flashing. If I unplug the power cord, and plug it back in, the unit will come back to life for about 10 seconds. During this period, the fan is turning and the humidity display indicates 45. Then the fan stops, the humidity display goes back to 01, and the bucket full LED starts to flash again. Has anybody had this kind of problems before? I wonder whether this is a water level control switch problem or a control circuit problem. Is there any test I can do? Many thanks! L.L.
On 31 Mar 2007 20:31:24 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

The fact that it runs a bit and then stops makes me think the LED flashing and 01 display is an error code. Do you have the manual? If not, you may be able to access from www.sears.com/parts.
HTH,
Paul

Hi, Paul, I have the manual, and it doesn't say. The troubleshooting section is only one page, and the problem I have is not listed. Thanks! L.L.
On 1 Apr, 04:31, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

put a multimeter on the float switch and find out.
NT
If yours is one of the late model ones built by LG within the last few years, be grateful it lasted so long. Most lasted barely 1 year. I had mine replaced or fixed 3 times and am throwing it away. Note that they shortened the warranty from 1/5 years to 1/1 year (in other words the new ones do not get a refrigeration system 5 year warranty any more). I am trying a Whirlpool this time from Lowes for $219. Still have a 5 year warranty on the refrig system.