Dehumidifier ices up at 70 degrees

I have a 10-yr old Kenmore dehumidifier that stopped working this summer. After running for a few minutes it ices up. This occurs in rooms with temperatures in the 70s. The machine sounds normal, and air seems to be blowing over the coils. I have vacuumed out all the parts I can reach. Any suggestions for how to find out what's going on and fix it?

TIA.

Reply to
Fred

Icing can be a sign of the freon is low. Mine dehumidifier does not have shrader valves so when it creates an issue I will just buy an new one.

Do you know someone in the refrigeration business?

Reply to
SQLit

I agree, you have a leak after spanking the kid who knocked it over and ain't fessing up, go to sears and look at new ones, that one is not worth the expense of fixing, unless you have a vacuum pump, the correct refrigerant, and some way to braze copper, at a minimum

Reply to
cowboy

New "energy star" rated units use apx 1/2 the power as your old unit, buy a new one.

Reply to
m Ransley

Easy, throw it away. But be sure to keep the warranty handy on the new one. My first new Kenmore lasted 3 years. The second 1 year. Fortunately the sealed unit has a 5 year warranty and they just give you a new new one when they go.

Reply to
Art

A little ice is normal after a couple minutes of run. Should be white frosty ice.

The qeustion is if it turns the coils into a block of ice. Or, if it melts and drips like it's supposed to.

How is it, after an hour of run time?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Let me thank all the posters for helpful replies. First, to describe the siutation more fully, the ice forms as a solid mass and doesn't melt until the unit is turned off. That sounds like low freon, so it looks like off to Sears for a new one.

Thanks again.

Fred

Reply to
Fred