Dehumidifier Drainage Question

I'm planning to leave my dehumidifier unattended for a few weeks this summer. I noticed that I can attach a garden hose to it instead of using the collection bucket. I'm thinking of running this hose to the main drain of the house which leads to the sewer line at the street.
1. If I remove the main drain cover in my basement for the hose is there any possibility of:
    a. my house stinking when I get home?
    b. gas (methane etc.) collecting in the basement?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Bruce
Bruce K. wrote:

Yes to all the above.
Hang the thing from the ceiling and run hose to a laundry tub or even out a window, etc. if there is no floor drain. Don't forget to punch out the knockout where the hose connects...
Jim
<< main drain cover >>
By this do you mean a main drain cleanout cover? or floor drain grill? Naturally a floor drain would be no problem.
Joe
If there is no trap then yes I would think you could have a problem. If there is an open floor drain no problem. You could go to lowes or Home Depot and buy a condesnsate pump for around $50 used for ac and furnaces normally to collect condensation and pump it out to a higher drain.

My parents did this for years. Cut a short length of garden hose and let it drip into the floor drain. Since it is a drain there is a trap and the water went harmlessly away. What out if it is a clean out. Then you will have smells.
Thanks for your replies..
YES. the drain has no trap and runs directly to the sewer. BAD news.
Maybe I can rig a pump (on a timer) that will draw the water to a sink???
Bruce
On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 08:42:37 -0400, Bruce K.

The condensate pump I mentioned has a built in sump and float switch. Will pump up hill to a sink drain.

Thanks Art,
    You put me on the right track
Bruce
On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 22:32:23 GMT, "Art"

This is a temporary arrangement, right?
$15 or less in PVC fittings will get you a standpipe and P trap that you can screw into the main drain cleanout. Rig that up, fill the trap with a bucket of water, and dump the dehumidifier output into that.
I take it you don't have a sump pump. That is where I drain mine.
Bruce:
BK> YES. the drain has no trap and runs directly to the sewer. BAD news.
In that definately don't use that as a drain!
BK> Maybe I can rig a pump (on a timer) that will draw the water to a BK> sink???
That's the condensate pump suggestion.
Here's a thought, Since you're going to be gone how about setting the dehum on top of the washer (or dryer, whichever works out better/easier) and put the dehum's drainage hose into the washer's drain? Just be sure to replace the washer's drain hose before the next load of laundry when you come back!
I would probably put the dehum on towels or something to protect the surface of the washer (dryer) and maybe even use bungee cords to keep the thing from walking itself off due to the compressor vibrations.
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* He's so stupid he thinks boycott is a male bed!
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971

Barry, can you do this with a dehumidifier that drips into a container? I haven't looked closely enough to see if you can attach a hose to the drainage, but this would be a great solution to keep the thing sucking water out of the air full time instead of shutting off waiting for me to empty the tank. Hmm... going to have to look.
--
Cheryl

Many have a standard threaded hose connection where the water drips into the basin. Remove the basin and look where the water comes out of.
Most dehumidifier bins have a garden hose thread along the bottom of the water bin. Sometimes you have to pull a round cap to expose the threads. Generally you have to drill a hole in the center of the fitting to let the water drain through.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus