Dehumidifier - Delonghi DEC16

Can anyone help with a fault on this unit?
When switched on, the compressor kicks in (and the dehumidification/refrigeration light comes on) after a few mins, it goes off and doesnt come back on again. If I turn the "dehumidificaiton power" dial down and back up again, the compressor/refrigeration starts again (and light comes on) but it goes off again after a few mins and doesnt come back on.
The "dehumidification power" control seems to be working ok, I can hear it click off as I turn the dial down below about half-way and click back on when I turn it back up beyond about half-way.
Needless to say, water isnt collecting in the tank as soon as the compressor goes off. I can force it to collect water by starting up the compressor (as above) every time it goes off.
Any help appreciated,
Many thanks Mark

maybe the humidity is already low - It is wintertime
Does the fan run, but not the compressor? If so, the compressor may be needing a hard start kit.
Dehum are sometimes cheaper to pitch em out and buy another. Me, I'd prefer to repair them.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus