Dehumidifier Buildup not melting?

My dehumidifier keeps frosting/icing up (very, very thick buildup) on the coils and not melting and going into water pan. I currently wait until there is quite a build up then turn if off, the buildup melts, then I turn the unit back on again and repeat. Why is the build up not melting, I thought the room may not be warm enough to allow melting. The room is of normal temp about 72 degrees F. Could the cooling fan be moving the warm air away from the coils, so that the buildup cannot melt. This is only my logic, I am assuming this is part of the theory of how a dehumidifier is suppost to work. Could there be something mechinical wrong with the unit? Why is it building up ice and not melting??

Reply to
Lorrie

Is it cold in the space the dehumidifier is in? it could be too cold or low on refrigerant charge. it could also be a bad fan motor.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
Reply to
hvactech2

If the huidity is very high, it will run continuously, leaving no rest period for any ice to melt. I suggest the dehumidifier is too small for the room you are using it in or is set too high.

Mechanically speaking, reduced airflow due to dust/dirt build up in the coils or a bad fan would cause similar problems. I don't think most dehumidifiers have a defrost function like fridges do but some may.

Reply to
PipeDown

I have heard that low refrigerant charge can cause this. You could put it on a timer. There is one available that allows you to turn something on or off every half hour or hour. Set it to turn off 1/2 hour or hour every few hours.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Some models of dehum have a set point thermostat tht clamps to the freon tube. If it gets too cold, it shuts off the compressor.

AC guys call that a "freeze stat", and they are a very good idea.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon