Dehumidifier anti-icing switch

Page 2 of 2

I bet it needs Freon, its old.

Did you verify that the the rest of the system that the switch is connected to does what it's supposed to? Don't know how they all work, but one I recently worked on has a reversing valve, which actually reverses the system so it becomes a heat pump that warms the evaporator coils. I'd try connecting and disconnecting the two wires while it's running.
Also, the unit I worked on was icing up and the cause was the blower motor was shot. Normally, they should not be icing up unless it's in a cold environment. That's the difference with the low temp models, they have provisions to defrost if needed.

Older dehumidifiers are real picky about ambient temperatures. When your basement or whatever gets over around 60 F or so, the unit will be just fine. Keep it clean and warm and it will likely work for a few more years. Go ahead and put everything back together and get back to spring chores with a clear conscience.
Joe
Joe wrote:

So you don't believe the anti-icing switch should go off when immersed in ice water? How is it going to prevent icing if it stays on at the freezing point?

On 4/17/2010 6:08 PM, Matt wrote:

They are not precision calibrated switches, it may open slightly lower than freezing. Some have the operating range printed on them, any numbers on it that have a F after them?
MikeB
BQ340 wrote:

duh ... good question ... thanks ...
Here are the markings on the switch:
T-O-D 37TA32 31097 1168777 F53-30F J9850
Here is the product line: http://www.tod.com/productdetail.asp?ProductID

applications such as defrost termination and ice cube maker control. It is also applied in a range of heat pump and air conditioning applications.
http://www.tod.com/loadMedia.asp?Method=Spec&MediaName7T.pdf&ProductID &ReturnPage
I don't see anything in the product info that relates the part number to the temperature range.
As you hinted, there is that "30F" number, but that doesn't seem to match the temp ranges described in the product info.

Agree ours (located in a cool basement) and which does not have an icing switch AFIK; ices up easily when temperature falls to about 50-55 F. But in winter, here, the humidity of the basement air drops any way and we just keep it 'turned back'. During warmer more humid summer (it never gets very hot here anyway) it works better with less icing. One change have made is to rewire the fan to run continuously while the unit is plugged in so that if ice does start to form the moving air melts it more readily.
I know this is a late reply but just have the recall repair done and you'll have all the switches replaced.

recall repair done and you'll have all the switches replaced.

With the late hour and day, is the recall still in effect?
--
.
Christopher A. Young