Dehumdifier Recommendations?

I'm looking for a new dehumidifier for a 2000 sq ft basement, so want one that is large. The existing one was 70 pints a day, prefer one close to that, but would consider smaller, but probably want at least

40+ Key reqts are:

1 - Reliability

2 - Energy usage, elect is 17c/kwh 3 - Automatic humidity control, auto restart 4 - Noise, but not that critical

Additionally, not sure about the need for low temp operation. The basement probably gets to a min of 60 deg, so I'm thinking this may not be needed.

For what it's worth, I know what I don't want: Sears or LG. The existing one was a Sears 70 pint, low humidity model from about 5 years ago, made by LG. It came with the house. Figured out the fan was never running due to a bad motor. Bought a replacement motor from Sears for $35. It lasted about 6 months, then failed. Should have known better, but ordered another motor from Sears again. Put it in and while the fan ran on high, it wouldn't run on low. So, to diagnose it, I unhooked the 3 wire cable and connected the fan directly to 120V, with the low speed and common connected. Plugged it in and in about 5 secs here a puuft! from the motor and burned smell. Without touching or moving anything, I carefully examined how I had things connected, thinking maybe I did something wrong. Nope. Moved the test wires to high and common, and it ran on high. So, I figured maybe I'd get lucky and it would still run on high. Put it back together and it did run. For about 10 mins, then you could smell burning again and it quit. I also had carefully checked from the start that the motor spun freely, the blower cage too, no binding, no rubbing, no unusual noise etc.

I later discoverd threads on the internet where many people are reporting that the fan motors are a disaster and have had similar problems replacing one after the other. The unit on Sears website has like 88% of people saying not to recommend it. The incredible thing to me is the fan issue discussion I saw goes back 5+ years. One would think that by now someone would realize these motors are crap and fix the problem.

So, anyone have good experiences with other brands.

Reply to
trader4

Have you read CR, do you need a copy of the article. Mine are older sears but GE is CR top rated , I bought a Haier and returned it since output was half of stated rating.

Reply to
ransley

Thanks for the info. If you have a copy of the report, I'd appreciate it.

Reply to
trader4

Why not just sign up for online service at CR? It's only $26 or so and you'll save that and more the first time you avoid another crappy and $ $ product. Or do something radical and get reacquainted with your local library. They have interesting books, too.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Have you read CR, do you need a copy of the article. Mine are older sears but GE is CR top rated , I bought a Haier and returned it since output was half of stated rating. =====================================

How were you able to ascertain this?

Reply to
Existential Angst

Why not just sign up for online service at CR? It's only $26 or so and you'll save that and more the first time you avoid another crappy and $ $ product. Or do something radical and get reacquainted with your local library. They have interesting books, too.

iirc, if you already have the mag sub, the online sub is $19.

btw, what is a "book"???

Reply to
Existential Angst

Did you check your mail