deglossing a textured wall

I have some textured drywall which I would like to smooth by floating a new surface with joint compound. Some of the walls have a very glossy finish. I just tried to roughen them up with sandpaper, but, of course, I can only hit the high spots of the texture. Most of the wall is still glossy. Is there any good way to degloss a wall like this?

Reply to
bcboy

The simplest way to do it is mix some dilute pva and put it in a mist sprayer such as a garden squirter or one of those bathroom/kitchen cleaner appliances. Or just roll or paint it on.

You might be able to retrowel the wall if you go over it with a wall paper steamer. Ordinary artex would allow that but I don't know what the paint would do.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

And "pva" is what, exactly?

Reply to
Jim McLaughlin

Most likely polyvinyl alcohol or polyvinyl acetate

the alcohol is a derivitive of the acetate.

The acetate is a common glue.

Reply to
Philip Lewis

If you are covering it with joint compound, why worry about the finish? The compound will stick to the gloss.

Reply to
Mike Dobony