deglossing a textured wall

I have some textured drywall which I would like to smooth by floating a new surface with joint compound. Some of the walls have a very glossy finish. I just tried to roughen them up with sandpaper, but, of course, I can only hit the high spots of the texture. Most of the wall is still glossy. Is there any good way to degloss a wall like this?
snipped-for-privacy@thecraftstudio.com wrote:

The simplest way to do it is mix some dilute pva and put it in a mist sprayer such as a garden squirter or one of those bathroom/kitchen cleaner appliances. Or just roll or paint it on.
You might be able to retrowel the wall if you go over it with a wall paper steamer. Ordinary artex would allow that but I don't know what the paint would do.
And "pva" is what, exactly?
--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
"Jim McLaughlin" <jim.mclaughlin> writes:

Most likely polyvinyl alcohol or polyvinyl acetate http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyvinyl_alcohol http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyvinyl_acetate
the alcohol is a derivitive of the acetate.
The acetate is a common glue.
On 8 Mar 2006 22:52:45 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@thecraftstudio.com wrote:

If you are covering it with joint compound, why worry about the finish? The compound will stick to the gloss.