Deep well sockets better than standard depth?

Page 2 of 2
Have ample auto tools here including lots of sockets and two way too heavy rolling tool boxes - needed a small 1/4 drive type deep wall socket to do something on a riding mower and my local true value hardware had a whole set on a spring clip holder for like $10. It has been so handy in the house I later bought a matching 3/8 set for it seems like about the same bucks. Great to have inside the house !
True Value lifetime guarantee sockets & they are an amazing quality for so little money. If you buy just one socket the hardware price socks it to you but for the price of two individual sockets you can get a whole set ! Amazing.

snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Small sets usually come with the regular sockets. But look around before you lay out your money. I've had a really cheap set to augment my regular tools and they are ok for some stuff but the sockets or wrenches will strip if used hard. About 2 years ago, I bought a set to carry in my car and was so impressed I bought another set for my son. They are marked Stanley Professional with 1/4 and 3/8 wrenches and include both SAE and metric sizes with some 6 point and some 12 point sockets and also some deep sockets in a blow mold case for $20.
The answer to your question is, NO. Regular sockets are easier to work with and will do most of what you will want. Sometime, though, you will definitely need a deep socket. Individual sockets are very expensive so at that time I would buy a set of deep sockets that includes the size you need. For deep sockets, check the 6 point impact sockets at Harbor Freight if you have one near you. A set of 1/2" sockets through 1-1/4" will cost about $18 on sale and they are tough. Most of the time, you will only need deep sockets for some plumbing aspects, e.g., changing the rubber in a valve in the wall or changing a heating element in an electric heater. Of course you need a deep socket for changing spark plugs but usually one of those is included in a small set and they have those individually anyway.

IMHO it would be a tossup. Sometimes a deep socket can't be used because of space constraints; sometimes a deep socket is necessary. You have a 50-50 chance of having the wrong socket at some time or the other unless you own both. Then there's times only a box or open end wrench will do, or...
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

I see
Well i sure appreciate everyone opinion on this subject
It sounds like I should bite the bullet and just get BOTh types of tools. That this is not an "either/or" decision
be a tossup.

it is a simple choice for me 3/8 ratchet = deep wall sockets for light duty if I was choosing an initial set to start with. If you're gonna really lean on it you'll want 1/2 drive and use deepwall only when needed
\