Deep well sockets better than standard depth?

Many inexpensive sets will have both...but personally, w/ just one, I'd take the standard for the convenience of smaller size. Would depend a little on what I expected to use it for, perhaps.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

If a person was gonna buy a small socket set for home use.... would it be wise to get only deep well sockets instead of standard depth as deep well might be more useful?

Advice?

Reply to
me

I have both, so I can speak from experience. I use the deep well sockets about 5% of the time. There are many situations where deep well sockets won't clear obstructions or otherwise are just cumbersome to use. Also, since the depth of the deep well socket puts the handle further away from the nut, there is a tendency for the socket to come off the nut when using the very end of the socket. If I had to pick one style, I'd get 12-point standard depth sockets.

Regards, John.

Reply to
the_tool_man

I agree with the other responders. Look at the swivel sockets. Snap on has a ball and joint configuration on them. I find that they are very useful in a lot of places. My set happen to be for an impact wrench.

Check harbor freight for sets that are inexpensive. I use a lot of harbor freight tools, if they break no biggie.

Reply to
SQLit

It's a biggie if the socket splits while you are applying pressure and you break a few fingers as a result.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

On 1/12/2005 2:53 PM US(ET), snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

If you have anything with a long bolt sticking out of the nut, the deep ones are better, otherwise you'll be using a wrench on the nut to break it loose, and then a nut driver to finish screwing it off. I have a set of both, and in both metric and SAE. Sometimes I wish I had more deep sockets (and pockets).

Reply to
willshak

Buy the standard set. Later, buy the one or two deep sockets you may need. There will be times that a deep socket does not allow you to get into a spot, probably more often that you need a deep one. I have maybe two or three deep sockets and that is all I ever used in my life. If you are heavily into mechanical repairs you'd probably already have both sets.

Buy a decent set and it will last you for your lifetime. Cheap tools are no bargain if they break or strip or cause your bolt to strip. Mine are about

40 years old and in that time I've only replace a couple that broke, more from abuse than wear.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

if you're on a real strict budget, buy a standard depth 6 point good quality set. first. then later buy another set that will probably contain both. no man can have too many socket sets. i made up a tool kit for the garage which is just chock full of everything, a smaller kit for carrying in the car and an even more select kit for fixing bicycles away from my house. you can't really have too many tools. keep an eye out for sales. most socket sets are half price at one tiome or another. ...thehick

Reply to
frank-in-toronto

There is another alternative I haven't seen mentioned yet. It's box end ratcheting wrenches. The ones I've seen are like the non ratcheting versions with one size at one end and another size on the opposite end. Mac, Snap On and Sears have them. Sizes are a bit limited and the wrench needs a little more space to work.

Dean

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

On 1/12/2005 8:38 PM US(ET), Dean Hoffman took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Not only space for the wider wrench head, but room to swing around near the bolt head. I have a number of them and they're probably the last wrench I would use in most work.

Reply to
willshak

Have ample auto tools here including lots of sockets and two way too heavy rolling tool boxes - needed a small 1/4 drive type deep wall socket to do something on a riding mower and my local true value hardware had a whole set on a spring clip holder for like $10. It has been so handy in the house I later bought a matching 3/8 set for it seems like about the same bucks. Great to have inside the house !

True Value lifetime guarantee sockets & they are an amazing quality for so little money. If you buy just one socket the hardware price socks it to you but for the price of two individual sockets you can get a whole set ! Amazing.

Reply to
bumtracks

The answer is yes, no, definitely, and maybe.

Sometimes the bolt is long, and you need a deep well to get over the bolt and down to the nut.

Sometimes the clearance is so that you can't get anything but a shallow socket on it.

Sometimes you can use a socket on it, but you can't put the socket all the way on the handle because then it would be too tall.

Sometimes, when you loosen the nut, you can't get the socket and handle out of the recess where you have putten it in to get to the thingus.

So, the answer is yes, no, definitely and maybe.

At various times, nothing but a deep well socket, shallow well socket, box end, open end, or ratchet wrench will work.

IOW - one size does not fit all, and there is no such thing as buying one set that will do it all. If I were to HAVE to buy one set FIRST, I would pick a deep well set. You will need more than that, so go buy those cheap sets at ACE or HD, and then you can afford two sets for less than one good set will cost. It will last plenty long unless you get into engine rebuilding.

When buying wrenches, look for the sets of about ten wrenches sold at ACE, and yes, get a set of metric, too. And a set of metric sockets, too. And a set of deep well metric sockets. And some metric screwdrivers. And an adjustable metric wrench.

Just to cover all possibilities.

If you find that you absolutely need one socket or one wrench to do one job, might as well get the set because rule is, you will need another size within ten days. And nowadays buying only one will cost you as much as a set. They make more money that way.

Last rule: you can't have too many tools.

HTH

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Small sets usually come with the regular sockets. But look around before you lay out your money. I've had a really cheap set to augment my regular tools and they are ok for some stuff but the sockets or wrenches will strip if used hard. About 2 years ago, I bought a set to carry in my car and was so impressed I bought another set for my son. They are marked Stanley Professional with 1/4 and 3/8 wrenches and include both SAE and metric sizes with some 6 point and some 12 point sockets and also some deep sockets in a blow mold case for $20.

The answer to your question is, NO. Regular sockets are easier to work with and will do most of what you will want. Sometime, though, you will definitely need a deep socket. Individual sockets are very expensive so at that time I would buy a set of deep sockets that includes the size you need. For deep sockets, check the 6 point impact sockets at Harbor Freight if you have one near you. A set of 1/2" sockets through 1-1/4" will cost about $18 on sale and they are tough. Most of the time, you will only need deep sockets for some plumbing aspects, e.g., changing the rubber in a valve in the wall or changing a heating element in an electric heater. Of course you need a deep socket for changing spark plugs but usually one of those is included in a small set and they have those individually anyway.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

You would not break a finger (or more likely smack it) if you were using the wrench correctly. The points may strip with cheap stuff, but how often does a socket split? I've never had a socket split and I go up to 150foot-pounds or so every once in a while when taking stuck wheel nuts off. Course I'm only a little guy and don't use more than an 18" bar (well sometime I use a 18" piece of pipe on the bar to extend it past 24")

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

You will almost NEVER see a real technician with a busted or banged up anything... with just a little thought and common sense, you can almost always position yourself to safely deal surprise slippages and/or tool failures. Having and using the correct tools for the job plays a big part too.

BTW, yours truly busted a brand new 1/2" drive 32mm socket Tuesday... went at maybe 125 foot pounds using a 24" breaker bar, and surprised hell out of me. Doesn't happen often, but once in a while...

Erik

Reply to
Erik

you should always try to pull towards yourself, not push away. this'll reduce the chances of injuring your hand if something slips. ...thehick

Reply to
frank-in-toronto

I was always taught You minimize or eliminate risks of knuckle busters and cut hands and other body parts by always pulling on a wrench/ratchet, plus you're a better judge of tite - go pushing on ratchets and people are not only going to chastise you, they're going to laugh at you. You're going to not only tend to round the bolt head and bust those nuts, bolts & threads yore going to damage your body too.

Reply to
bumtracks

I used to have a Karmann Ghia. It had lug bolts, not lug nuts. Good fit so even if you tightened them just snug, they held in place. I used to put a piece of pipe over the handle and jump on it to get the bolt to move. One you loosened it 1/4 turn, it came out by hand. Broke a lot of sockets but Craftsman replaced them every time.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You will likewise never see a real technician using cheap tools, because they understand that they are not as safe. Meanwhile, accidents DO happen to everybody and anybody. Cheap tools, especially wrenches and sockets = safety issue.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

Yeah, you might save your hand, but when it lets loose, you may beak your nose or lose a few teeth instead. I saw exactly that happen to a member of Bob Sharp's pit crew from pretty close up. Yow!

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor