Deep fryer

I'm looking for a small deep fryer that can be mounted in a counter, not set on top. All that I have seen are fairly large. What I want will contain no more than 1.5 liters of oil. Has anyone come across such an appliance?
RB
Add pictures here
βœ–

How you gonna get the oil out and clean it?
Rhett
Add pictures here
βœ–
I'd expect it to have a drain valve accessible from under the unit and/or a removable stainless steel insert. Larger one like this 3-1/2 quart unit from Gaggeneau do.
http://www.gaggenau.com/US_en/Modular-Cooktops/Modular-Cooktops-Overview/Product-Detail.do?protocol =*~VF+230&contentId“4142
RB
Rhett wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–

Nice unit, I wish there was a more detailed picture of it. I found this to be quite the sales pitch:
"Control over the oil temperature is precise, covering the 275 - 380 ΊF range in 10 ΊF increments. Set the right temperature and the hot oil will seal the surface of the food on contact, keeping the oil out and the flavor, consistency, protein and minerals in." I wonder why deep fried foods tend to be oily?
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 16 Feb 2004 16:26:00 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (HA HA Budys Here) wrote:

You said it yourself in the quoted text: "..."Set the right temperature and the hot oil will seal the surface of the food on contact,...."
The oil being used was not at the proper temperature!
Add pictures here
βœ–
As you re-quoted fried foods are oily because the temperature they were fried at was not high enough. This is usually because those using the fryers don't understand (I bet they've never read any operating instructions, let alone a text on food chemistry) and because most commercial fryers are too small for the amount of food that is loaded into them so they can't keep the food and oil hot enough.
Another big problem is that when oils are cooked for a long period of time they oxidize, but more importantly they cross link and their molecular weight increases by 5 to 10x. I've measured the molecular weight of some oils used in popular fast food emporiums that could qualify not as oil, but grease. May reasoning is that it is much safer to eat fried foods that you cook yourself so that you know hope they were prepared.
RB
HA HA Budys Here wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
" I've measured the molecular weight of some oils used in popular fast food emporiums..."
You must have some spare time on your hands!
Later...Chris
Add pictures here
βœ–

You may be interested in reading "How to Read A French Fry" by Russ Parson. He gets into some food chemistry. If you don't find you fryer, try posting in rec.food.equipment Ed
Add pictures here
βœ–
Thanks, it looks interesting. I just ordered it from Amazon.com.
RB
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–

I pursued the Gaggenau URL cited and can't fathom why anyone would want to have such a fixture in a home kitchen. Unless they have people to clean for them. :-) I explored the site a bit and saw a grill installation with a pop-up fume/grease suction fixture. All *I* can see is endless cleaning of bits and pieces and stainless surfaces. Not to mention the questions of repair should the unit fail. With the Gaggenau gadget listed at approx. $1,000, and countertop appliances of various capacities costing $70 to $200, I'm even more puzzled. Of course, being preternaturally stingy, I'd suggest a cast-iron chicken-fryer and a Chinese skimmer. The countertop appliances appear to minimize spattering oil, which the in-counter thing or chicken fryer do not.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Frogleg wrote:

I do. ;-)
I explored the site a bit and saw a grill

You have to use a Gaggeneau stove to appreciate how nice they are. My only reason for not getting their fryer is that it uses too much oil for just two people.
Of

Add pictures here
βœ–

Those units get really hot. Are you really sure you want to do this??? A built-in makes it difficult to clean, repair and replace. What happens if/when you try to sell the house?
Add pictures here
βœ–

This will probably be of no help whatsoever, but if you still haven't found what you're looking for by the time your kitchen stove takes a dump, there was at least one major kitchen appliance manufacturer during the 1950s that had an oven with a hidden-door deep fryer built right into the center if it, right in what's ordinary the empty vertical space between the stovetop burners.
They seemed to have built stoves like tanks to last a lifetime back then, so undoubtedly there are still a few of these things still kicking around almost good as new out there waiting to be sold. You'll probably pay a hefty buck for it just on nostalgia alone, but beats the hell out of maybe burning your house down or something similarly distasteful with a counter fryer.
AJS
Add pictures here
βœ–