deep freeze temperature?

We just measured the temperature in our freezer and noticed it was running at 5 below zero (-5F). It is running alot and this prompted us to check the inside temperature.
What temperature should we set it to??? It seems that -5 is colder than it needs to be and that we'd save on electric and wear and tear if we allowed it to run a little warmer. But, how warm is too warm?
Thanks,
<Albert> wrote in message

Colder keeps things longer.r I go for Zero.
You may also want to look into getting a Foodsaver to avoid freezer burn and really extend the shelf life of frozen goods.
On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 12:05:33 -0500, Albert <> wrote:

-5F sounds good to me.
If it runs more than it should, most likely it needs a good cleaning. A refrigeration system needs good airflow in order to get rid of its heat. If it can't get rid of heat, it must run longer and less efficiently.
Gary R. Lloyd CMS
http://www.techmethod.com

Well, the temp is still dropping and it's still running-nearly constantly now!
It's currently at -10F (actually -9.8).
I think I'll adjust the thermostat and try to get it to stababile between zero and -5.
Thanks all.
The instructions for my freezer say 0 to +5. I expect food will last longer at colder temperatures, but at what cost?
If it still runs consistantly it could be low freon or something else, my frige ran alot till it was filled with freon. Depending on age new units can be 75% more efficient