dedicated dripping faucet?

Page 2 of 4

The "let the water run" trick only works in marginal circumstances, usually when it's unusually cold outside at night. In this case (the one under discussion), insulation is the solution. If the problem is a constant sub-freezing situation, like an exterior pipe, insulation won't do it, of course. Heat has to come from somewhere. Heat tape is the solution, there.

How do you know that "in this case (the one under discussion)" insulation is the solution?
The only thing the OP has told us is that he likes to leave a faucet dripping in freezing weather. He has yet to come back and tell us why, other than to say to "reduce the chance of freezing". I'd still like to know why he thinks there is a chance of freezing in the first place.
Some folks have assumed a pipe on an outside wall and situations like that, but only the OP "Bob" can tell us what is actually going on.
On Thu, 28 Nov 2013 06:10:46 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

If dripping water will do anything, it's a minor issue and a little insulation will solve the problem.

He "likes to" keep the pipe from freezing. Insulating the pipe will cure that problem. It really is easy enough for even you to figure it out, if you try really hard.

If it were on an interior wall, there wouldn't be much need, now would there?

.

There would be a need if there was no heat in the building, now wouldn't there? Once again, only the OP "Bob" can tell us what is actually going on.
One possibility: A cottage or shop building that gets occasional use and occasional heat. Visitor uses building and uses heat. Before he leave he turns off the heat and the faucet. Result: frozen pipe, even on an interior wall.
Can you tell, with certainty, from what "Bob" wrote that that situation doesn't exist?
We can make all sorts of assumptions but we can't know for sure unless "Bob" comes back and tells us.
On Thu, 28 Nov 2013 19:23:02 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

Idiot. If there were no heat at all, a drip of water wouldn't help.

A drip of water isn't going to help.

If a drip of water helps, yes.

Why do you insist that "Bob" is a liar and idiot, when you're the only one here demonstrating that he is all of the above?
On 11/28/2013 11:54 AM, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Your kind of advice can be dangerous when implemented by someone without a clue.
If the water is wet SOMEWHERE/ANYWHERE. And you can get it to the drip before it freezes. The drip can work. It's just thermodynamics. Your blanket statements with the obligatory "idiot" are not educational.
Of course, the problem is internet wide. People who need help don't have the knowledge or experience to know if they're getting sound advice...or they wouldn't be here asking.

Don't waste your typing on him. He's just not worth the trouble.

Then you'd better not listen to me.

Wrong. If the entire building is freezing, it's going to take a LOT more than a drip to keep a pipe from freezing.

I'll bet you don't even own a mirror. What an amazing putz.

this is the best advice that krwless will ever be capable of giving

notice how the limbaughnista always lies
On Thu, 28 Nov 2013 22:31:57 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

You, again, prove me right, Malformed. You can't even quote without lying about what people actually said. You lefties are *INCAPABLE* of doing anything other then lie.

Keep lying, Malformed. Everyone needs to know that you're a lefty so they can ignore everything you say.

yes, extreme right mr limbaugh

as i didn't quote anything, it would hard to be a fundie

since you lied about me quoting (just above in case you get lost again) you must be telling us that you are a leftie

stop projecting...I know it's very difficult for you to live with yourself, but then again no one else would ever take that chance with you, so get used to it
On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 20:45:14 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

Yes, I am right. ...and you're wrong about everything. Lies are wrong, by definition.

You're lying again. It is all you can do.

You're lying again.

so you've just admitted you are wrong, thank you

On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 12:53:56 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

You're lying again, of course. You're incapable of telling the truth and too damned stupid to post properly, even though you've been working on this replay for SIX WEEKS.

He implied that it did work. I'm not calling him a liar. I don't know that he's a lefty. ;-)

Leaving the water drip would not work in an unheated house.

Of course dripping water can help but not if there is no heat. It only works if there is a small cold spot. The water has to move fast enough through the pipe to clear the cold area before it gives up enough heat to freeze.

Two hours West? Are you calling Dufas a drip?

<140Mi, not so fast.

Ah, Phenix City is only an hour and South of here. ...at the speed limit, even.

My original point is that there can only be a small section of the pipe below freezing for it to work, but yes, it does work.

Interesting how you tell me it won't work, then say that it can using almost exactly the same words. Glad to see you're coming around.

It's interesting that you're that illiterate. I said that the solution was to insulate the pipe. I never said it wouldn't work. You must be a Democrat.

And that was the problem. Insulating the pipe in an environment below freezing without enough heat flow from somewhere, possibly flowing water, does not prevent the pipe from freezing, eventually, no matter how much insulation you put on it. Thermodynamics is your friend.
You have a long history of shooting from the hip without thinking it through, then denigrating anyone who challenges you. Consider yourself challenged...pun intended.