Dedicated Circuit: Is Junction Box Required?

Page 1 of 4

I plan on adding a dedicated 20A GFIC outlet above my kitchen countertop, fed from a new 20A circuit breaker via 12-2 w/ground Romex run through my attic and down inside the wall to the outlet. Two questions:
1. Since it will be a dedicated circuit (only the one outlet on it) does the electrical code require a junction box between the breaker and the outlet?
2. Since the outlet will be the end of the line, is it necessary to use wire caps and jumpers for the hot and neutral in the outlet box, or can I simply run them straight to the outlet terminals? I've seen the connections drawn both ways in reference books. They all show the wire cap and jumper to a screw for the ground wire, but differ as to the need for wire caps and jumpers for the other two wires.
Josh wrote:

What is wire cap and jumper? You mean pig tails?

Yes, sorry......meant to say pig tails. Are they required for end of circuit?
Josh wrote:

Our kitchen has a sub panel serving it. Any how you just run end to end straight from panel breaker to the outlet. No junction box or pig tails needed.
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 21:55:49 -0700 (PDT), Josh

I dont know where you got the idea that you need either of these. Just run the romex directly from your breaker panel to the box for the outlet and wire the ends of the romex right to the outlet. Junction boxes are only needed if you splice the wire or run several cables together. Why would you even think you need jumpers? That's just plain stupid. You only need them if you have several wires that need to go to a screw on an outlet, or is someone made the wires too short in the box. Allow 6 inches of wire inside the box and connect each wire to the screws. Ground the bare wire to the box as well as the outlet. That's it.
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 21:55:49 -0700 (PDT), Josh

No and no. You can run a cable, unbroken all the way.
On 6/30/2010 10:43 PM snipped-for-privacy@aol.com spake thus:

What he[1] said.
Just to clear up the confusion, the reason you see pigtails (jumpers) and wire nuts used in wiring guides is that they're very useful when you have cables both entering and exiting an outlet box, making for a lot of extra connections. Obviously, if you only have a single cable and a single device (GFCI outlet), you can simply wire the cable to the device.
[1] I'm ASSuming that gfretwell is a he.

No junction box is required, except for the box that the receptacle will be in. No wire nuts required at the receptacle unless the unit you're using has pigtails on it, instead of screw or clamp terminals

In typed:

Contact your local code enforcement office and ask them. No one here is going to know preciesly what their requirements are.
HTH,
Twayne`
typed:

People on this group tend to know NEC and CEC, which is certainly the basis for whatever local jurisdictions use. Why is it that you think everyone has a " local code enforcement office"? I for one, have nothing like that in my area.

LOL... You do have such an office, you just live in a large area served by a county-wide or state-wide "local office"...
Most places in the US have a city or town wiring inspector OR pay a fee to their county to have the county inspector conduct the wiring inspections and sign off on the permits...
~~ Evan
Evan wrote: ...

And, you don't know that, either...believe it or not, there _are_ still places that really, really don't have local inspection.

Well, outside the city 3-mile limit, there is none here, either. There is a sewer/well permit process but nothing other than that and the County doesn't pay the City nor are there building permits, etc., beyond that.
As for the OP's question for that particular situation there's _no_ chance any local modifications would require either of the things asked about.
In typed:

Effectviely that's probably true, but since it's not applicable to 99% of cases or more, it's hair splitting that is more or less useless information for purposes of useful discussion.

Ouch! If you believe everything you just said, I feel for you. Also, I'd like to know precisely where this area is with the "3-mile limit" from a "city". I don't believe it. And of course, the country you are talking about. Something feels very wrong with your comment.
HTH,
Twayne`

Twayne wrote: ...

Why should I not believe what is so? And, thank you very much, we like the status quo very much.
And, of course, you're welcome to disbelieve whatever you wish; it's not uncommon for city folk in populated areas to think its required for governments to take care of everything for them.
The "city" is county seat w/ population of roughly 20,000. The State allows municipalities to extend their zoning, etc., to 3-miles from city limits but beyond that it's the county's call. Being as it is rural and farmers are notoriously independent when it comes to what they think is the best for their operation, it's not at all surprising there's no support for additional zoning in the county.
The sewage/well requirement was in response to the proliferation of trailers and so on in a couple of areas within the county and has been adequate to curb further excesses since adopted. My Dad, in fact, served on the joint city-county planning commission for some 20 years and was instrumental in drafting same years ago.
Again, there's a whole lot of territory out here that most folks don't know nuthin' about...

I know I'm jealous. Where I live, in Bill Clinton's back yard, you can't piss without a permit

RBM posted for all of us...

Don't worry, Clinton has already marked his territory.
--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.

ROFL... Where I come from "city limits" means the boundary where one city becomes another, or you are leaving the city and entering into unincorporated county lands... NOT the extent of the densely populated central district of the city...
If you get power, water and police/fire services from a city, you should be bound by their codes no matter how far you live from the center of the built up area...
Wow, there are still some backward parts of the US that live in potentially unsafe dwellings like people in 3rd world countries...
:-O
~~ Evan
In typed:

Yes, there is. That's why I asked for a specific location. Problem is, you see, you're splitting hairs and only adding confusion the way you're doing it here. A location would let me look it up and let me see what it's all about. Which I've also already asked for.
HTH,
Twayne`
typed:

LOL... You do have such an office, you just live in a large area served by a county-wide or state-wide "local office"...
Most places in the US have a city or town wiring inspector OR pay a fee to their county to have the county inspector conduct the wiring inspections and sign off on the permits...
~~ Evan
Not exactly. I live in Westchester county, NY. I hold a master electrician's license issued by the county. When I do electrical work, depending upon the particular jurisdiction , I hire an inspection company and I pay them directly. There are no electrical code enforcement offices that a citizen can call and get any information regarding electrical requirements.
In typed:

You are either weasel-wording or just outright uneducated. There IS code enforcement, whether you choose to recognize it or not.