decomposed granite (DG) as a garden path

Hello,

Does anyone have any experience with using decomposed granite as a pathway?

I had this done recently and it's just a sandy mess that gets all over everything. I had read and was told that they would harden to near concrete consistency but this certainly hasn't been the case.

Is there something that needs to be added to the stuff to get it to harden or is it a physical compression process.

Any comments would be useful.

Thank you ml

Reply to
kzin

I live in San Diego and my house is on all Decomposed granite. Its basically sandy dirt. Yes you can wet it down and run over it with a tractor and it becomes a packed sandy dirt. As long as you dont get it wet it has a rather hard consistency but nothing like concrete. Sun dried brick would be more appropriate. This is of course naturally occuring DG like what I dig up in my yard. Perhaps there are different grades, however if its the same stuff, then you will have packed sandy dirt as your walk.

Thats the way I see it.

Reply to
gary_unix