Decomission fireplace and make space for normal stove??

Has anyone here used the space taken up by a fireplace to use that space for something else like a stove or some appliance?
It seems to me that there's enough depth to fit an appliance where the fireplace is now. What I'm not sure about is whether there's enough horizontal space because there are iron "side-walls" on it. I have no idea if there would be a brick wall behind all this that might prevent what I want to do.
Also the fireplace if right behind the living room where there is also a fireplace so I think they share the same chimney.
The house is an old victorian(100+ yrs). Might it be best to look at the plans to see what the actual fireplace design is?
Just wondering if anyone has done something like this and was looking for some insight.
Thanks
On Feb 12, 11:38 am, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

DAGS on "fireplace insert" and deal with 1.1 x 10^6 hits.