Declaration of Independence

Another thing most Americans don't realize: The Declaration did not originally read:

"Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness". It was "Life, Liberty and Property". Wonder who wanted it changed, and why. Must research this when I get a break. Anybody know?

Reply to
Higgs Boson

-snip-

Good for 'most Americans". they are correct.

The Declaration *always*, from Jefferson's first draft, said 'pursuit of happiness'.

The *1st* Continental congress, in 1774 made a declaration that used the term 'property'. Franklin argued against it being used in 1776. [he was in France for the 1st go-around & on the committee for the Declaration of Independence]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

-snip-

My wording there is misleading. I think Franklin was in France in 1774 when the 1st CC met. In 1776 he was on the committee [with Jefferson, Adams, Livingston and Sherman] that drafted the Declaration.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Another thing most Americans don't realize: The Declaration did not originally read:

I read it was Ben Franklin that suggested the change because he realized that taxation on property ownership was going to be necessary to finance the federal government. So he suggested something that was immune from taxation to replace the word "property" and be more in line with life and liberty. But there are all sorts of other theories, too. I mean the government can take both your life and your liberty - although so far, neither is taxed.

bg

Reply to
Robert Green