Declaration of Independence

Page 1 of 2

Have a good day tomorrow.
"Subjects."
That's what Thomas Jefferson first wrote in an early draft of the Declaration of Independence to describe the people of the 13 colonies. "...Over the smudge, Jefferson then wrote the word "citizens."
"Dr. Fenella France, a research chemist at the Library of Congress, shows recent imaging of the document. (Susan Walsh - AP)"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/02/AR2010070205525.html
Oren wrote:

Having lived his entire like until that time under a monarchy, it's hardly surprising. More telling is that he changed it.
dpb wrote: ...

That would be "life"... :(

Some in Congress would like to change it back.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

_Some_ seem to think they already have... :(

Except that not every one of them is in Congress.

Old habits die hard? And I guess we were subjects until they signed it. Well, for that to matter, I need to read the sentence, which isn't found in later versions of the D of I, it says.

""It's almost like we can see him write 'subjects' and then quickly decide that's not what he wanted to say at all, that he didn't even want a record of it," she said. "Really, it sends chills down the spine." "
I agree except I don't think she can know that he quickly decided it.
Worth reading the article, although they don't tell you how to repair the machine used.

Thank God for Microsoft Word, I still remember using typewriters.
mm wrote:

Indeed...as noted above and as you point out, it would definitely be difficult to shake one's existence not to mention the several hundred years of history preceding that which was thoroughly ingrained.
As well as not having any idea of whether it was done quickly or not nor even if the change might have been suggested by somebody else after discussion, what's a research chemist doing making historical judgment, any way? This is indeed a blatant case of imposing current-day attitude upon an earlier time and place. Just totally wrong interpretation imo.

I wonder why the big deal this year? I spent a year or two reading about the Declaration and signers a decade ago & 'subjects' was always the way that smudge was read.
Here's a Princeton page with all the changes annotated- http://www.princeton.edu/~tjpapers/declaration/declaration.html#_edn10 It cites Boyd's 1945 interpretation of the rough draft.
Good news story, and neat new toy-- but hardly 'new history'.
Jim

The foot note contradicts what I said earlier
"[10] TJ originally wrote fellow-subjects, copying the term from the corresponding passage in the first page of the First Draft of the Virginia Constitution; then, while the ink was still wet on the Rough draught he expunged or erased subjects and wrote citizens over it. The fact that he made the same change in Document I is evidence that he was using that document as the composition text for this part of the Declaration."
I can certainly believe they could tell if the ink was still wet, because erasing it would spread it around, so he did change it quickly.

If you ever visit Philly, see Independence Hall. Take a self guided tour. Visit the homes of Jefferson and Betsy Ross of the time and others.

I've been to all those places except Jefferson's home, which must not have been open whenever I was there. Thanks for telling me.
I've also been to the Eastern Correctional Institute (name?) which was prettty interesting, and the Franklin Museum, which I recommend highly.
mm wrote: ...

AFAIK, Jefferson never had a home in Philly; he stayed at the Graff house during the time the Declaration was being drafted.
The main house is Monticello outside of Charlottesville, VA.
There is also the Poplar House, a second residence southwest of Lynchburg, VA, between Lynchburg and Bedford (closer to Lynchburg). At the time we were living on property that backed up to it, it was privately owned and not open to the public altho I think I have seen that it has changed hands again and is now (that was 30+ yr ago).
dpb wrote: ...

Indeed...
<http://www.poplarforest.org/
It's a neat place well worth the side trip if one makes it as close as Charlottesville. Of course, Appomattox Court House is 30 miles the other direction along w/ bunches of other things in the area worth exploring...

Correct. "Residence" is what I should have stated.

Is that open to the public? Oh, Oren says yes, or not.

That I've been to.
I haven't been to Montpelier yet, but I have been to the homes of about 10 presidents. Two just two years ago on my drive from Balt.to Dallas and back.

I'll have to get there before I die.
mm wrote: ...

Bucket List item #...
:)

I have a lot of items but tourism gets qutie a bit of priority. I also try to get to presidential graves, although the tour of these is very short.

Home of Thomas Jefferson in Philadelphia? He was only there for a year or so & if I recall correctly he stayed in an inexpensive boarding house. The boarding house, like many of the Signer's homes & former haunts was torn down. [we didn't really care much about these folks until the late 19th century]
Jim