Deck Wood Question ?

Hello,

Have the typical outside Deck constructed of (some type of) pressure treated wood.

Have several flower pots, and good size planters on it. When it rains, or course, water seeps between the bottom of the planters which are absolutely flat and the wood. I guess mainly by capillary action.

This can't be good for the wood, as the water, with no way of evaporating stays there, and the wood therefore stays wet for a Very long time.

Is this something to worry about or be concerned with ?

if a problem, what would you recommend for weather-proof small feet to glue or fasten to bottoms of the planters and pots ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

It will likely result in early deck rot. You can buy rubber feet with adhesive for attachment. Or, you can get the pots off the deck. Just watering the plants is going to have problems, long term. It will always be moist under them if the pots are porous or have drain holes.

I once built a shelf outside a deck I built, for the pots, using pressure treated wood with big gaps for all wood that had contact with the pots.

Reply to
Bob F

I had same - wood rotted under the big pots...

Reply to
Paul Oman

Get some 5/4 (1") trex type material and make small pallets to hold your pots with feet at least an inch tall to allow circulation of air under them. I used 9 little blocks cut out of the same material and attached to the 3 stringers of the pallet with stainless steel screws. (3 rows of 3). That lakes it very stable and still allows plenty of air to get under it.

Reply to
gfretwell

I use plant stands that have casters on the bottom. The box store eill have them in the garden section. Some are redwood, other stainless steel. It would be easy to build yourself some. When I bring large plants in the house, I also use the clear plastic pans to prevent water leakage.

Sample:

Oren

This can be a very serious problem leading to rot. Rest each pot on a trivet. I use wooden sticks, half-inch thick, two for each pot. No need to fasten the sticks to anything.

Reply to
Phisherman