Deck Steps

Can i put the stringers or the ground or do i need some kind of support ?
--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz

Sure.
desgnr wrote the following:

Every Spring you'll have to re-level them if you have frost heave in the Winter. If you install them the way they are supposed to be installed, with a 10' base of crushed stone and sand, it would be better.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I have no argument with Bill's anti-heave solution, but I will mention this:
Over 20 years ago I set the 3 stringers of my 5' high deck stairs on 2 x 8 x 16 pavers and they haven't moved even the tiniest bit.
Western NY on the shores of Lake Ontario, so my deck has seen some rough winters. Granted, my yard is extremely sandy, so perhaps that has helped

That would be better than nothing.
It is almost as much work to create the proper base for the pavers as it is to mix up 2-80 Pound bags of concrete.
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 15:29:59 -0400, "Colbyt"

I was thinking Sonotube and pour the concrete...
Wood on the ground is an invitation for Termites.
How deep would the Sonotube have to be in Pennsylvania ?
---
0.0.1> wrote in message

Just nail a pt board across the bottom and be done. Millions of deck stairs have been done this way all over the country. Anything else is more work than replacing the board once every 20 years. Unless you have nothing better to do.

<shrugs shoulders>
Don't really know.
An alternative is to pour your own "pavers". Then put them in place.

They will sink if you just put the end of the stringer on the ground. If your ground is fairly solid just nail a 2x8 across the bottom of all of the stringers. If they sink a little down the road just tilt them up and throw a little dirt under.

Put them directly on the ground if you want them to rot and someone fall down and sue you.