Deck staining/weatherproofing

I have a cedar deck that needs to be weatherproofed and stained. I plan on washing it and then applying a good coat of stain to it. Is it common to stain/weatherproof the underside as well? Thanks.

No, I think its overkill. I just pulled up some 20 year old boards on my deck and the underside looked brand new.

Well then, you should have just flipped them over ;-)

Yes, provided I had a square shaped deck, but my deck boards are at an angle ( herringbone style deck), so the ends are also cut at an angle, and simply flipping them would not have worked.