Deck Stain

Had a new deck installed, pressure treated lumber, coastal SC, mostly in a shaded area. I need to stain it a dark green (condo rules). Not sure if I should use latex or oil based stain. Web research seems to indicate either is good choice. Does it need any prep before staining?

Opinions on oil vs latex?

Reply to
Luca

Go to the library and look into Consumer Reports. The index will tell you when deck stains were last testes (usually every couple of years.) Review artices are written for beginners.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Oil would be better but it has to dry to about 15%, its shipped wet at near 85%, get a moisture meter. Its could take many months to dry, like next year, and temps must be right or it will fail.

Reply to
ransley

Cabots oil is CR recomendation

Reply to
ransley

Cabots Decking stain (oil -based). Follow the manufacturer recommendations and it should last a few years. Be extra generous on the end grain.

Reply to
Phisherman

I'll second ransley's recommendation.

The treated lumber I buy has instructions that say not to put on a finish for at least three months. Since water _drips_ out of the wood when I drive a screw, I assume the water content is near 100%.

If you put finish on with the wood still wet, the finish will likely peel off. Follow the instructions on the can carefully.

Reply to
SteveBell

I've found that around here most of the condo associations have written specs detailing product and color. You might want to check that out before proceeding further.

Reply to
Bonnett Decorating

I agree with their comments. Cabot?s oil is the best recommendation. Like what they say, just follow the instruction carefully. Posted from the Free Home Improvement Forum at

Jmmv08