Deck splintery for baby - and solutions?

I've pressure washed the deck and am about to put down Penofin, but I wonder if people belt-sand the surface first to make it smoother? I have an 11-month old and she could crawl on the deck if it were less splintery.
Thanks!
DeanB

What type of wood? You can sand most any wood, except for pressure treated as the dust can be bad for you to breath. I've heard of people renting a floor sander for the deck.
dean wrote:

Even if you sand the deck, it won't be totally baby-proof. The wood will still weather and have slivers. I would use a playpen or mat, at least, until she walks and wears shoes. A tiny splinter in a baby's skin can cause nasty infections real easily.

Any wood deck gets a little splintery - replace with Trex or another composite decking immediately if this is really and important concern for you.
Otherwise, you do what the rest of the world does - keep baby off until she can walk in shoes.
Banty

or put indoor outdoor carpeting over deck, but do mind the fall hazards, crawlers can get thru tiny spaces.
be aware the deck material is probably hazardous and the ground under and around a real safety threat.
arsenic and other nasties were used as treatments for wood.
can cause cancer and other diseases

Good answer! They make nice outdoor rugs these days, you can find them at places like Bed Bath & Beyond. They don't look like grass or felt, they look like area rugs.
nancy