deck sealing

all of the sudden my wife decided that she doesn't like the color of the deck sealant(thompson's) i applied less than a month ago. she wants to go a bit darker in the color...can i just restain or do i have to strip the deck first?

thanks, cj

Reply to
cj

I'm guessing the Thompsons is a yearly thing. Good that you didn't use it this time, but Penofin will cut your labor in 1/2 or

1/3. [and look better longer to boot]

In my house, I'd say 'OK dear. Go pick out exactly what shade of Penofin you want." By the time she got around to it the deck would need a new coat anyway.

If it really bothered her & she ran right out and did it, I'd put it on the bottom of my list. . . and by the time I got around to it the deck would need a new coat anyway.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I wouldnt use a different product , something different might peel as you dont know chemical makeup, original Thomsons main water proof ingredient is wax and not nothing sticks to wax. I think you might be able to put in paint "Universal" tint , its used for stains also. Call Thompsons and ask if it can be tinted and if it will bond, read the can it may say. Consumer Reports has a long term paint and stain test going on for maybe 10 years, Thompsons was dropped years ago from the test because it was the worst performer, I would not change this year because of chemical compatibility, but dont believe advertising, and thats how Thompsons made its name.

Reply to
ransley

Easier to get another wife.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Wait, maybe a year, for the Thompsons stuff to wear off.

Reply to
Phisherman

With thompsons original wax finish, in 6-9 months it might be gone

Reply to
ransley